pet73r

G60 MFA Boost readings. Help!!

Hi there, quite new to corrado g60's. Just bought one infact. A 1991 'H' registered one.

Been reading a bit of info on the net and came accross info on how to do a boost reading using the MFA, so thats what i did. The car has had a jabba stage 4 rebuild with 68mm pulley. Around 25k / 6 years ago.

Heres the readings.....

1) 1792

2) 1990

3) Fluctuating between 949 - 990 (shouldnt this be lower?? at idle?)

4) 3.0

5) 2020

6) 84

7) 12

Basically, can anyone make sense of these readings and explain to me what they mean? And tell me if everything is in order with these readings? Ive read that the fluctuating reading should be lower (around 550 - 750)? But is that meant to be for standard?

Thanks guys!!

I robbed this from matey-matey.com - this refers to point 3 on your list the on board boost gauge. The other values do have meaning, I will try to dig them out for you.

The boost levels can also be checked using a boost gauge function on the MFA (Corrado only). Use the following procedure:

Start engine

Move the MFA selector to "2"

Press and hold the MFA end button (keep holding)

Stop engine

Start engine

Release the MFA end button.

Press the MFA End button one time.

You should now see 550-750 readings fluctuating with idle. Anything higher than 750 is probably not right (a vacuum leak possibly?). Much less than 550 is probably too much timing advance. Run the car to the redline in 3rd and 4th gears noting the highest readings you get

Running a standard 78mm pulley you should see 11psi if the charger is in good nick but a charger with a smaller pulley should make more than 11.6

EURO Hg(#'s of boost/vacuum)

200 - 23.7

400 - 17.8

600 - 11.9

800 - 5.9

1000 0 (Atmospheric pressure, charger is bypassed?)

1200 2.9 psi (You have a major boost leak)

1400 5.8 psi (Your charger is in very poor condition)

1600 8.7 psi (Your charger would benefit from new apex strips)

1800 11.6 psi (Good for stock pulley, needs new apex strips if 68mm pulley)

2000 14.5 psi (Good for 68mm pulley on stock charger)

2200 17.4 psi (Good for 68mm pulley on heavily ported charger)

1000 is atmospheric pressure, at idle you should have a vacuum (numbers below 1000) and under load you should get boost ( numbers above 1000 according to your pulley and charger condition).

So it looks like you have a vacuum leak at idle, but what are the numbers like at re-line in 3rd gear?

dont take this test as gospel,a proper mechanical boost guage will give you a true reading.cheap and more accurate reading

on a completely stock g60(standard chip,standard pulley,nothing modded) i was getting 130 max on the display saying i was running in vacuum at the redline

on my 70mm pulley at the moment im still getting only about 160.

to be honest mate, ignore them. I did this test on our G60 the other week, and it told me the charger was blowing like an asthmatic, yet the boost gauge on the dash was showing all was well and healthy, and it is. Get a boost gauge on the dash fitted, and go with those figures

if you need a boost gauge pete you can borrow mine since my cars off the road atm...but im gona call you tommorow/today regarding a h plate golf runaround :)

rav

Very Late reply here,

Still no clearer on what these values mean....

So 1) is ?

2) Is?

3) IDLE?

4) Is?

5) Boost Reading?

7) Is?

Anyone know the answers?

Have you gone onto matey-matey.com and gone through the g60 tuning guide on there pete? I know part of it has been posted up but it seemed to make some sense when I read it on there! But yeah, confusing! Talk to Ravi, the man with all the answers! Which reminds me rave I need to give your headlights back! To be honest, it sounds like a good 'ol boost gauge would make it easier to understand.

Very Late reply here,

Still no clearer on what these values mean....

So 1) is ?

2) Is?

3) IDLE?

4) Is?

5) Boost Reading?

7) Is?

Anyone know the answers?

If you have the "MFA switch" on "2":

1 is some checksum iirc, skip this one

2 is vacuum/boost. 1990 means that you're most likely producing more than the MFA can read, so you got 0.99bar (or more) boost. Some sensors won't read higher!

3 is the revs

4 is fuel milage you get right now

5 is the speed sensor signal

6 is oil temperature

7 is outside temperature