Sign in to follow this  
robrado974

sorting the underneath questions

i realy want to sort out the underside of me vr . wanting to re waxoil it, will a different product react with original coating? have read a few posts on other products, need advice on the best one to use .also general painting of parts underneath aswell can some of them be done in situe or have i got to strip it ? brake lines n stuff in the way?. looking at the c now i should have waited and done this before she was resprayed bit a**e a bout face way to rebuild a car but never mind ,thanks for any advice ,rob

I have used the waxoyl black and can tell you it really covers and sticks well, it wont react with anything adversely, ie rubber mounts etc. but if you need to remove it anytime in the future you will be cursing. I think the clear finish is more suited but may need to be re- applied every other year. Make sure you wash the crap off before waxing!

I'd remove damaged underseal, remove the rust underneath in just the corrosion affected places, warm the area for a while to extract moisture from the metal, prime with an etch primer and then paint or spray on the rubberised underseal from VW, it's very resilient to stones when cured and just spraying stuf everywhere underneath simply masks problems, traps moisture and allows problems to travel underneath. Plus the VW stuff can be painted over to further protect it.

Parts like subframes and rear beams and brackets can be blasted, treated with POR-15 or similar, or powder coated or even Hammerited. Depends on how far you want to go removing parts or treating in-situ.

One thing I would say about the VAG underseal is I've had better results with U-Pol Greystripe. It's thicker, can be brushed on in thick layers and dries a hell of a lot quicker.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165625

Black Waxoyl is OK if left with the lid off for ages to thicken, otherwise it's too thin and underspray will just wash it off like it wasn't even there.

VW seam sealer is similar but much thicker, comes on a shultz gun can rather than the tins the sprayable stuff does, it's what I used for over the join to the body when fitting a new wing, more silicon sealer/caulk type consistency :)

thanks for replies , i realy want to get it sorted , underneath looks ok ,just want to be sure and give it a good going over .. the inside of the wings were done when i had the respray, so i know there ok .thanks again ,rob