Sign in to follow this  
stu37

ROVER CLAIMING VR6 AS FLAWED!!!!!!!!

Hi guys I have recently had the pleasure of rebuilding a rover KV6 number 14 rover rebuild for my dad and I thought I would have a look on the Austin rover online website to have a look at the history of the KV6 engine, as for its capacity its pretty advanced just let down by some silly design decisions. I was ready away happily taking in the prose when this disgusting comment below wandered across my eyes lol :mad2: . Dont get me wrong, I love cars, engines and technology, but when did Rover... ROVER of all people get the moral and technological high ground to call the VR6 flawed... Raant over now. I just thought I would share this stupidity with some fellow vr6 fans.

http://www.aronline.co.uk/

Rover's need for a new V6 and V8 was hardly a secret in the industry - what with Volkswagen's approach offering its flawed VR6 engine to Rover for a knock down price in order to boost production levels at its plant in Germany. :bad-words:

Hmm, well I have had 2 head gaskets go. And they run at a very high temperature.

However, the proof of the pudding is that the V6 is still being used in Volkswagens whereas Rover and all its affiliates are dead and buried.

Hmm, well I have had 2 head gaskets go. And they run at a very high temperature.

However, the proof of the pudding is that the V6 is still being used in Volkswagens whereas Rover and all its affiliates are dead and buried.

KV6 Problems stemmed from, fan breaking, thermostat splitting, head gaskets going and then for me crack lol i mean block splitting :( .

Meh... it doesn't have anything to prove really. The VR6 engine is already enshrined in the history of great engines by plenty of respectable sources! The basic design has now been in use for nearly 20 years by VW, in everything from the Golf R32's right up to the Bugatti Veyron's W16 engine.. which is a descendent of the W8... which is a descendent of the VR6 :)

KV6 Problems temmed from, fan breaking, thermostat splitting, head gaskets going and then for me crack splitting :( .

Yeah it did draw a smile when they described it as flawed. And pretty much all of BL wasn't? From the management to the workforce to the materials and quality of work and final product, all were pretty shoddy and badly thought about.

Isn't yours charged up though?? Headgasket failures are almost unheard of on a VR...

The VR6 isn't 'flawed' in that it does what it was designed to do very well (compact V6 for FWD applications), but viewed from an engine designer's point of view, it's not the best design. The head is awkward and doesn't flow very well, and the close proximity of the cylinders leads to hot running temps, especially over the summer months.

However.....the G60, VR6,20V & 24V VR6 heads are to VW what the Rotary is to Mazda. All weird and unconventional designs that other car makers failed to perfect, so credit due to making them work successfully out in the field, in huge numbers :salute:

And as for Rover, the only decent engine they've made is the K series, but they used to eat head gaskets so often, dealers had a regular train of cars going in and out for replacements. And the VR6 is flawed? :lol:

K series being kv6 and k series 4 cylinder engines in my experiance can do without an elastomeric head gasket!!!