Sign in to follow this  
Portent

Never let me view your car

My track record of jinxing sellers cars...

1) Moonlight blue - mirrors stopped working during test drive.

2) Blue storm - sprang an oil leak during test drive.

3) DPB - Bonnet jumped on a couple of days after viewing agreed.

4) Twilight violet - heater dial broke during viewing.

5) Dragon green - coolant hose sprang a leak about 10 mins after I agreed a viewing.

Am I a jinx or are Corrados somehow unreliable :shrug:

:lol:

Then just send me a packet full of money, and you can buy my car without viewing...

Seems like the easiest way to stop the jinx!

Yeah no offence but you've been on the hunt for how long now and had no luck? I mean what is it your looking for in a corrado exactly? There's a new vr for sale every day, take your pick and buy one!

Just think you turned down the one i have....lol

DSCF7241.jpg

Yes I know. unfortunately I had some job issues going on at that time (looked like a move to Singapore might have been on the cards - but it never happened) and when the seller came back to me with a lower price, I had to be cautious with money and buying a second car. To be honest it went to a better home as you have done a wonderful job with it. It deserved to go to you.

But I have to warn you that I also looked at another green storm just before yours from a guy in Guildford. I suspected him of being a small trader as his story didn't tally with the lack of paperwork and V5 in his name. So I walked away. a few months later that car suffered chains going and the forum member is still fixing it I think. So maybe I've jinxed yours too lol :)

Yeah no offence but you've been on the hunt for how long now and had no luck? I mean what is it your looking for in a corrado exactly? There's a new vr for sale every day, take your pick and buy one!

No offence taken. I've been looking since around March I think. But only seen around 6 or 7 cars in that time. Two of them I regret not buying (C5 OEM's - but I've explained why above) and a lovely Moonlight blue one (not the one mentioned above as I'd forgotten that from the list, but the spoiler motor went during that viewing lol). But I passed over that for not having leaher. I'm currently very interested in Lars car which although it doesn't have leather, it really is nice. However that's on hold while I try to see the green one currently for sale with the broken coolant hose (I strike again!!)

I've learned a hell of a lot in that time which has been essential as I really have very little mechanical knowledge. I'm pretty much like this in other areas of my life too. I'll study something for absolutely ages until I really know what I'm doing.

What am I really looking for in a Corrado? A Storm would be great, but leather really is up there on the list. Low mileage is a plus or chains done. All the obvious things really. I'll get there. I expected it to take a while as I'm quite fussy on what I want. That's partly because I expect the have the car for a long time and don't have a lot of money spare to throw at getting it into the right condition.

are Corrados somehow unreliable :shrug:

yes. now get one bought and deal with it like the rest of us!

Its just a case of experience and a gut instinct when you see a good car....in the last 5 years have had mk1 golf series one gti/sportline cabby/mk2 golf 20v/corrado all bought on seeing the cars and getting feedback from the sellers...

i dont think its any more unreliable than any other car of its age or era. It just that there have many abused and negrlected so they get labelled as 'unreliable'. I suppose the age they're getting to now, hoses will burt, relays and sensors will fail, chains will become noisy, but nothing you wouldnt expect on this mileage or age of motor. IMHO of course.

But I have to warn you that I also looked at another green storm just before yours from a guy in Guildford. I suspected him of being a small trader as his story didn't tally with the lack of paperwork and V5 in his name. So I walked away. a few months later that car suffered chains going and the forum member is still fixing it I think. So maybe I've jinxed yours hose (I strike again!!)

I've learned a hell of a lot in that time which has been essential as I really have very little mechanical knowledge. I'm pretty much like this in other areas of my life too. I'll study something for absolutely ages until I really know what I'm doing.

Damn it portent! Lol

i dont think its any more unreliable than any other car of its age or era. It just that there have many abused and negrlected so they get labelled as 'unreliable'. I suppose the age they're getting to now, hoses will burt, relays and sensors will fail, chains will become noisy, but nothing you wouldnt expect on this mileage or age of motor. IMHO of course.

Exactly, i think they are good reliable cars, just that a lot of the components have never been changed on many cars so when they fail after 115 o so years we see to slag them off as unreliable, me included but then when you are running 5 of them things are much more likely to happen and to be quite honest not that much has gone wrong with them.

I'd much rather drive a C than have something like the courtesy car i have, Mitsubishi Lancer GS2 deisel, quite pokey too and some real low down grunt to even shame a VR but it has absoloutly no soul whatsoever and it corners like a hot tub on stilts walking on a pie :roll: :lol:

don't get excited about my unreliable comment guys, its made in consideration of same points you raise - primarily age - occassional faults/ issues are an expectation i had when buying all mine (and continue to have) and i think its unrealistic to expect trouble free motoring from a motor which is at least 15 yrs old.

original post seems tongue in cheek, so i'm sure portent realises this!

If I had a car that started to fail at 115 years old, I don't think I'd call it unreliable... miracle, maybe! :p

Yeah 1895 was a good year for Corrados. They haven't made them the same since!

Oh yep. The thread was indeed meant to be tongue in cheek. I actually don't think Corrado's are too unreliable considering they are 15 to 20 year old, fairly rare, performance cars. But so far there's only one car I've view that I haven't jinxed... C5 OEM's. It's only a matter of time before my jinx catches up and the wheels fall off though :)

Oh yep. The thread was indeed meant to be tongue in cheek. I actually don't think Corrado's are too unreliable considering they are 15 to 20 year old, fairly rare, performance cars. But so far there's only one car I've view that I haven't jinxed... C5 OEM's. It's only a matter of time before my jinx catches up and the wheels fall off though :)

Sorry mate just no luck atm, Was the leak serious...? or a sprung pipe? I think sadly the same with anything of a classic or aging nature, its never going to be perfect unless you pay top dollar and even then you get some horrors. When I bought mine it was a genuine car, full history 3 owners, with 72k. It was by no way perfect, slight rust in one wheel arch, dent in the door, lacquer peel on the wing, but the car was very solid. I think the longer a hunt goes on it can go two ways... 1 you end up buying the first thing you see (not in your case :D ) or 2 you can end up trying too hard to find the perfect buy. Mine in no way was perfect but its a damn sight closer now. I salute you sir in your quest :salute: .

That's partly because I expect the have the car for a long time and don't have a lot of money spare to throw at getting it into the right condition.

In my opinion if you haven't got money to spare to fix things and you aren't a mechanic then any 15 year old car isn't for you. I spent ££ks on a new TT 2 years ago and all I've spent on it is about £200 on a service and £300 for 2 new front tyres. OK - so don't mention the hidden cost of depreciation :( .

On the other hand my Storm cost me just under £4k and it's suffered no depreciation :) but I've spent around £3k on maintenance/upgrades in just under 2 years :( . I'm just finalising my 2011 budget (how sad!) but I expect to spend maybe £1k.