Sign in to follow this  
DANG60

Tuning companys vs diy

I dont really know if this is the right place for this thread. Ive been looking into upgrading my 20v engine.

From a particular tuning company I enquired with it was going to cost around 5000 pounds just to build the engine. There was nothing really special about the spec either it would of consisted of uprgaded rods, 0.5mm over bore forged pistons upgraded valves springs and retatiners and a "gas flowed head" with new guides etc ect. Basically reconditioning my engine with upgraded parts.

Ive been on an american website and i reckon by buying the bits from there i could do it for half that. Ive never built an engine before in my life but surely taking your time and double and triple checking it should be doable.

Anybody else thought twice about what it was going to cost to get the work done and had a stab them selves?

£5000 is more than what i paid for my car lol

My kind of thread :D

Take your pistons down to a machinist and get them to bore the block out for you. That will ensure holes are the right size for each piston, then from there you can build it up yourself at home. As you say, once the machining is done, the rest is just assembly. Reboring prices vary, but usually around £25-£30 per bore.

I'd recommend you buy a rotating engine stand from Machine Mart so that you can flip it over and work on both sides. Much easier and cleaner than a bench.

Get some decent assembly lube and you're off.

What's your work space and tool collection like? Got a decent torque wrench?

I wouldn't bother with a flow head, save your money and spend it on a decent turbo and manifold instead :D

Hi thanks kev, Ive got an engine stand already and mine and my dads tool collection is pretty good.

I dont mind rolling my sleeves up and have done everything pretty much on my last corrado barring an engine rebuild so i should be ok with the reassembly. Im always dubious about gas flowed heads unless theyre something like a cnc head which have proven gains. For all i know i could be getting my head back and its just been port matched to the gaskets and that may be somebodys version of a flowed head?

The idea behind the build is so that it will support a nice turbo and manifold :norty:

Still undecided werther to bore it out as the standard pistons are supposed to be ok for high 300's. but certainly everything else will be getting done.

I know tuning is expensive, but me and my dad have always managed to get by by having a stab at it ourselves so when i found out how much it would be for an uprated engine build(not a particularly special one) I nearly passed out lol.

Thanks again kev

Certainly I would advise having a go. Done a couple myself and really enjoyed the process. Get yourself a nice clean workspace and lay out everything methodically. The most important thing is to take your time, get your torques right, check them and check again and make sure everything is lubed up, a small oil gun is very useful for this.

It enjoyed it, would do it again but the Mrs won't let me use the kitchen again! :norty:

cheers rusty nuts, i think ill enjoy having a go myself. Will certainly be a good learning curve.

My mate once built a mini engine in his bedroom can imagine your Mrs taking the same view as his mam - not very impressed lol.

I dont think ill push my luck and just do it in the garage.

Ive decided ill have a stab myself, just finished ordering some bits from america. :clap: