Sign in to follow this  
Kevin Bacon

Do Pagid Fast Road pads still exist?

I found that they disappeared years ago when I tried to replace mine. I was advised there was no replacement at the time and was advised to go with Mintex extreme pads.

I gave them a try and performance wise they were very similar, however they had a tendency to squeal frequently even with the supplied anti squeal pads fitted, this may have changed but I wouldn't bank on it.

I finally settled on the red stuff pads as a good alternative. Unfortunately they are double the price :brickwall:

Cheers Joni

It's the Red Stuffs I'm using at the moment and want rid of them :D

Sure you don't have the old compound, as I read it changed not so long since and is now much improved.

I guess you don't want to be forking out £100+ for some pads that you'll be taking off in a few months, so how about the Black diamond kit, I couldn't talk from experience but my brother is happy with his setup, and the pads are reasonably priced.

Yeah I was looking at the tasty pagids earlier. £200!!! for the medium friction ones. I wanted the Pagid Grey but they don't do them for the 288 calipers.

Joni, not sure what age the Red stuffs are, they came with a 288 setup I bought.

They have virtually no initial bite at all. You really have to push hard before they do anything. I know I've stepped down from APs but I've had 288s before I don't remember them being THAT bad :lol:

Might just try some basic pagids or OE!

Cheers Joni

It's the Red Stuffs I'm using at the moment and want rid of them :D

Sure you don't have the old compound, as I read it changed not so long since and is now much improved.

I guess you don't want to be forking out £100+ for some pads that you'll be taking off in a few months, so how about the Black diamond kit, I couldn't talk from experience but my brother is happy with his setup, and the pads are reasonably priced.

Black Diamond use the same pad compounds as EBC- they're made in the same factory. Think the Black Diamond Fast Track = EBC Red Stuff.

Gotta say, since switching to reds on my vRS, I've been totally unimpressed. The car used to stop on a sixpence with the standard VAG pads, but have to agree with Kev- the Reds have no initial bite, which is a little unnerving!

Just found Stealth have some here.

Anyone know if any of the rears will fit a late VR (17mm). They're all listed for the Golf, but would think they would be the same for the Rado?

I must admit initial bite isn't the best when the RedStuffs are cold, but my old Pagid Fast Road pads also did that.

Not had a problem with either after that initial warming which is literally a stop from 30.

Kev, just out of interest was there no lack of initial bite on the ferodo's you used on you AP setup? Or just no where near as bad as the RedStuffs?

I'm pretty pleased with my Tar-ox fast road pads, under £100. I'm sure you can get more expensive compounds in the range. I dont get that much dust either, but I guess its hard to see with matt black wheels. :)

I must admit initial bite isn't the best when the RedStuffs are cold, but my old Pagid Fast Road pads also did that.

Not had a problem with either after that initial warming which is literally a stop from 30.

Kev, just out of interest was there no lack of initial bite on the ferodo's you used on you AP setup? Or just no where near as bad as the RedStuffs?

The DS2500s weren't that great really. Probably better on modern cars but on the VR with it's long pedal, they were pretty average. Ferodo claim a consistent bite at all temps but like other sport pads, they need heat to perform!

Best pad bar none is the Pagid RS15. It's the only pad that makes a modern car's brakes feel inadequate!

I put some VAG MK4 1.8t pads in my 288s over the weekend and although they haven't bedded in yet, the bite is better than the redstuff's. EBC claim a friction coefficient of .50 for the redstuff but that's cobblers! I know what .50 feels like it's a LOT stronger than that! :D

My impreza came with red stuff all round and it runs Subaru 4 pots (not brembo golds) and they have no bite in them hot or cold which is unnerving as said but they don't fade as of yet.

try searching for the pagid rs 4 -2 blue range

an absolotly awsome all round pad, though your wallet will be aalot lighter afterwards aswell!!

a set for my brembos is £220

Nice one chap! I'll have to give those a whirl!

My dealer 1.8T pads have pretty much bedded in now and considering they were a 40 quid punt, they're actually pretty darn good! Instant and strong bite from stone cold and good hot performance too.

I haven't stood on them hard from 100 or anything yet but coming off slip roads at 85 etc and leaving the braking late, well, they feel not that far behind my AP 330 setup :shock: