Sign in to follow this  
ZippyVR6

Arking Lead, what is this please?

Hiya.

Car was sat for 2 weeks whilst on holiday. Once I had turned it over and defrosted things thoroughly, the drive is a bit lumpy. I traced it to an arking lead. But I dont know what it is called in order to replace it.

can anyone point me in the right direction please?

it was arking between the two arrows. It seems I either need a new lead, but which one. Or a new unit, but I also dont know what it is called.

Magic, Thanks for clarifying this.

I sealed the plug that fits to the unit with some insulation tape to rule out the lead first of all. I think it has solved it, so it looks like the lead needs replacing.

Thank you all. Ill get on to them and look at ordering a King Lead.

Invest in a plug lead removal tool if you haven't got one. A chap on here sells them. I had issues with a lead that wasnt seated correctly due to the deep tight location to the spark plugs.

I realise you solved the issue but its been very useful for me with the other lead ends,

Rams

Rog, did you order a lead yet? I might have one knocking around that you're welcome to.

Toad, Thanks for the lead chap. Most welcome. I managed to unsnow the car today and swap leads over, then took her for a run. Same thing Im afraid. under gentle accelleration it is fine, but when you increase the load she splutters a bit. So It looks like coilpack.

Looking in the searches there are billions of threads about replacing VR Coilpacks, so has anyone got any pointers on costs, or where to get one from. It seems the GSF ones are weak and lots of people have needed to re-replace them months down the line, and I would rather not set off down that road again.

Has anyone got a VW part number for a coilpack for a 92/93 Dizzy VR or know what I am likley to need to spend at the dealers? Or, are the ones from EWurocarparts any better than the GSF ones?

Is this the right one and is it any good?

This one

Many thanks.

Update.

New Coilpack fitted,

The Arking has gone but I am still getting hesitation and juddering under load. What else should I be looking for?

Hmmm. Take it for a good hard run, and check that all the other HT leads are fitted nice and tight, maybe even spray some WD 40 over them to make sure.

Stealth always used to press the leads down (carefully) with something to check they were correctly seated (not just using the hazet tool)

I've also seen then wrap a bit of electrical tape around the bases of old leads to give a bit of extra insulation.

Cool. Thanks guys. Both handy responses, I will try that, and also clean up the MAF tonight.

Some fresh Fuel, of a higher quality that the 95 ron Tesco crap I put in before Xmas might help too.

Update, Fresh Fuel, Checked the fitting of all leads, Taken for a good (25 mile) run, and It is better, But by no means cleared.

I've had a read up about the MAF, and if it were at fault, the engine would have a dead spot rather than just hesitatuion. so I think that rules out the MAF being faulty.

Coud it be a lead? If I just buy a number 1 lead, This is the longest, so I could rule out the leads one at a time.

Ok.

First the good news.

A cleaned MAF, WD40 round the Dizzy, cleaned along all the HT leads with GT85, Made sure all leads were pressed in place, and cleaned and reoiled the air filter. Then I took it to get some more fuel and put in some fuel cleaner too.

There was one stutter under load when the engine got warmed, then the car behaved without fault for 170 miles, when on the way back from Cambridgshire a coolant hose let go at a healthy speed on the M11. Spent 6 hours getting home. The RAC had a look, and in the process of removing the offending hose, split the crack pipe, and then a flatbed back home.

So at least I know the hesitation is gone, (for now).

the little u bend one that goes into the crack pipe.

Just perished, and in taking it off the plastic it was attached to cracked.

Ah well. another week in Rado ownership.

Just had that one done (see my thread about blown head gasket......), i would get the others changed while you are at it and brace yourself for the labour cost but it will be worth it......

Hope you get it sorted soon my friend, can you take the job on yourself? It Shouldn't be too difficult?

There is a really useful tool for the hose clips, honestly, makes life so much easier.