Sign in to follow this  
Alex_G60_Fanatic

Is this Possible with a 2ltre 16v?

wow... that's just silly numbers

also... This is a 1.9 Polo. It's showing 533KW at the wheel (my German isn't to good so correct me if im wrong) That's over 700bhp.

I just didn't think these numbers where possible without destroying the block... I mean horse power is to do with the torque and the revs the engine produces... that polo was only meant to go up to 8 or 9000rpm... it must be doing more like 12000 now? or is is simply a case of a BIGGER explosion in the chamber?

I'm so confused... :confused4:

also... There must be fuel enrichment... Petrol wouldn't have enough guts would it?

i assume that with a certain size bore you can only burn a certain amount of fuel per rotation... you can compress the air (with a turbo or super charger) to provide more oxygen and so burn more fuel but at some point the pressures would just pop your valves and stuff yeah? So that means FASTER REVS to get more revs and so more fuel and more power?

but then that Polo had 800NM of torque showing... there must be a point where the fuel dosn't have enough chemical energy to produce that kinda power without increasing the quanities? or am I under estimating the chemical power of petrol?

god i'm bored.. i'm gunna look through the cheese sandwich posts... :wink:

Start on the script for your next podcast you lazzy bugger. :D

If it's revving to 9000rpm, the torque probably peaked at around 6000 and is probably around 550lb/ft, depends on the turbo size. Can't see any specs of it. All doable if the motor is built for it :D

Yeah it's basically a bigger explosion in the chamber. More air and fuel crammed in there so it has a much stronger punch on the piston when it burns.

A 1.9 Polo revving to 9000rpm normally aspirated would probably make 220ish hp absolute tops using the best parts available, but throw a massive turbo on there that isn't restricting the top end, and well, you get 700hp with massive clout to back it up 8)

also... There must be fuel enrichment... Petrol wouldn't have enough guts would it?

i assume that with a certain size bore you can only burn a certain amount of fuel per rotation... you can compress the air (with a turbo or super charger) to provide more oxygen and so burn more fuel but at some point the pressures would just pop your valves and stuff yeah? So that means FASTER REVS to get more revs and so more fuel and more power?

but then that Polo had 800NM of torque showing... there must be a point where the fuel dosn't have enough chemical energy to produce that kinda power without increasing the quanities? or am I under estimating the chemical power of petrol?

It would, but it would cause major pinking at the boost levels required to get a 4 pot to 700hp. Drag strip racers usually use Sunoco MaxNOS Racing fuel, which is 116 octane and according to a drag car builder I know, it's detonation proof. Literally. He builds 10 litre drag V8s running 15:1 compression and 30psi boost and he says it can't get it to det.....

800nm, so I wasn't far off then :D Yep, you just throw in the fuel to match the boost. Almost certainly 1000cc or bigger injectors will be used and I would bet a shot of NOS is also employed. Getting the air / fuel in isn't the problem on most turbo engines, but rather getting the spent gases out fast enough, so expect major head work and cams!

Yep, you are right, Petrol does have calorific limits where hp is concerned, which is why the Top Fuel drag cars run on Nitromethane instead, which has more oxygen molecules for a bigger burn. Have you ever been to Santa Pod and watched a Top Fuel car? It's an experience! Just cover your eyes, burnt Nitromethane stings!

Nitro vapour in the eyes is a weirdly satisfying experience following the bone shaking that is a top fueler getting a good start. I go to the European finals every year and in the last couple there have been some impressive turbo street legal cars.

Sure I read the other day that F1 cars engines are going down from 2.4ltr to 1.6ltr turbo :shock: in 2012 so you must be able to achieve some power with the right turbo etc.

Sounds crazy though to think an F1 car running with a paltry 1.6 :cuckoo:

Sure I read the other day that F1 cars engines are going down from 2.4ltr to 1.6ltr turbo :shock: in 2012 so you must be able to achieve some power with the right turbo etc.

Sounds crazy though to think an F1 car running with a paltry 1.6 :cuckoo:

They used to run 1.5 turbos back in the 80s mate! They were rumored to be putting out 1500hp in qualy spec!

They used to run 1.5 turbos back in the 80s mate! They were rumored to be putting out 1500hp in qualy spec!

Didnt know that mate :notworthy: Every days a school day :D 8)

I was a spotty teenager in the 80s though & had err..other things on my mind :lol:

Lol! I wasnt even born in the 80s! Im a product of the 90s, but only just. I just used to watch reruns of old f1 races, and can remember feeling gutted when senna was killed in 94. Its one of my earliest memorys!

Funny how things go round in circles! Road cars are going back to turbos aswell. The next M3 is rumoured to be getting a little turbo motor. The V8's days are numbered :(