Sign in to follow this  
VR6Pete

A few problems with my Corrado

Hi everyone,

Merry Christmas!

I've got a few general questions I hope you can answer for me easily....

I've noticed a 5amp fuse in the fan control module unit in the engine bay - what does this do? I have noticed my aux water pump doesnt kick in, but 100% works as I've attached a 12v direct feed to it, and was wondering if the blown fuse in the fan control module unit may be at fault?

I have replaced the matrix, but I have noticed that the blue bowden cable is now very stiff, what could cause this? Have I missed a trick putting the dash back in.... how easily should this cable move? Just trying to avoid taking the dash back out!

I had the unthinkable happen the other day, and the bonnet was jammed when closed on the passenger side, the driver side popped off but the passenger side did not :( I have luckily managed to get it open, but reluctant to close the bonnet until I have resolved the cause of this issue... is it a common issue on the Corrado?

Is it a mare replacing the bonnet cable? How much, and where can i obtain a new one from?

last question, I needed to replace the brake hoses, as I have put 288's on the front, unfortunately the drivers side nut has rounded off on the union, Unsure what to do on this, apart from biting the bullet, and replacing the brake line from the ABS unit to the the brake hose :( any ideas?

Any assistance with the above is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Pete

i can only help with the brake question. I had the same union round off when fitting my 288's and had to cut the brake line and replace. Its not as hard as it looks.

Ahh. Do you happen to know the length of pipe I'd need so I can get one made up? Or am I best removing the old one and use it as a template?

i couldn't remember a length from memory, but i bought a roll of the stuff and yes, used the old ones as a template.

although once fited each end you can still bend the stuff around to get the best fit

Thanks for the information buddy!

Can anyone help with any of my other questions?

Thanks

Pete

the 5 amp fuse is the circuit for the aux pump.

i can sort you out a brake pipe remade using original green pipe, which side is rounded? passenger or drivers side?

bowden cable, they go stiff in time. replace them all at one time, and just forget them for 10 years.

youll only need to replace the once, about a tenner each.

all your parts get genuine, form vw dealership.

yes replace the bonnet cable, common problem, you will also need new clamp and screw for the end of the cable.

Hi mate thanks for the info.

I've replaced the fuse now. Hopfully the aux pump will work :)

It's the drivers side that's rounded off :(

If I had one off you, would I need any special tools to shape the line? And would the line go into the arch ok with the connecting nut etc on the end?

Does anyone have part numbers for the Bowden cables and bonnet cable?

Thanks

Pete

Hi,

The lenghts for the NSF solid brake line for non ABS is 620mm and with abs it's 1235mm

heres some links to screen shots of the parts associated with the heater controls and bonnet release cable.

Matt

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q282/twr_photos/vr6heatercontrols.jpg

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q282/twr_photos/vr6bonnetcableassembly.jpg

happy new year.

im back now.....

thanks for all the info.

cant view the images for bonnet cables my proxy blocks them.

does anyone have the part numbers for the cable / and any other parts needed to swap out the cable?

any tips on doing this?

Cheers

pete

Do a search on the cable as its been covered loads of times. Its easy to replace, it just feeds in from behind the fuse box and into the bay. You just need to spend a little time adjusting it. I put some long nose pliers down the hole and pull the handle to double check the latches move before shutting the bonnet.

wrt to the bonnet cable, over tightemn it first, ie closing the bonnet doesnt lock it. Then loosen it slightly by a few mm and retry. Continue until it just locks, then loosen it 1-2mm more.