Critical_Mass

Lupo - misfire.

Hi all,

I've been trying resolve a slight misfire on my gfs 1.0 litre Lupo. It developed a random multiple misfire which would disappear, but its got to the point where it would misfire as soon as you apply the throttle more then half. So i took a look at the HT leads, they looked past it. So i took the air box on top of the engine off and put some insulation tape round the top of the plugs as a temporary measure til i could get some more, but its even more. Its idling terribly and its misfiring which sounds like on more then one cylinder... it awful and now undrivable. As soon as the throttle is applied now the engine tries to stall.

So i went to EPC and bought a new set of leads thinking this would cure the problem. But nope, its just as bad if not slightly worse. Now its had a coilpack in the past and that didnt cure the slight misfire.

As a precaution could anyone tell me which HT lead goes into which plug on the coilpack - doesnt appear to be labelled. Need to rule out the school boy error of putting 2 of them in the wrong way round. Or if anyone could point me in the direction of a diagram.

I've asked this question on the clublupo forum, but not had any responses. Need this sorted as the gf needs the car for work.

Cheers all.

I havent checked the plugs yet, but i will tomorrow.

My thoughts are that ive either disturbed something or put the leads back on in the wrong firing order. I say this because although the car was misfiring before i messed with the leads, it did run and could be driven. But now its misfiring immensely and cannot be driven.

Could this be coinicidence?

The coilpack doesnt have any numbers on it that i can see. Unless they're on the underneath of the car pack, but why would they put the numbers on the underside of the coilpack :cuckoo:

they should be on the side of the pack,probably difficult to see but should be there,plugs is the very first thing to check,as arching can track down the plug ceramic to the base of the plug and look like pencil lines,even with new leads they will still follow the same tracks down to earth....do this before anything else and see what happens mate.

On my golf (mk3 1.4) I had a bad misfire on anything more than half throttle, all I did was change the injectors and replace the exhaust pipe that had a hole in it and it was fine from there.

Might be of use to you :shrug:

On my golf (mk3 1.4) I had a bad misfire on anything more than half throttle, all I did was change the injectors and replace the exhaust pipe that had a hole in it and it was fine from there.

Might be of use to you :shrug:

Funny you should say that, as i think the exhaust is leaking a little. Though its been like that for months and hasnt stopped the car working. Bar this slight misfire on warm up, but then it goes. :shrug:

Cheers Swomp.

what condition are the plugs in?

Firing order is 1-3-4-2 and there should be corresponding numbers on the coil pack. No1 being at the belt side.

RIght James, there are markings on the coilpack, but its not 1,2,3,4 its A,B,C,D.

A is plugged to cylinder 1

B to Cylinder 3

C to cylinder 4

and D is cylinder 2

Is this correct? the car wont even start now, its splutters a little but wont fire.

Im going to take the plugs out now.

still not having it, wont even start now. Ive changed the plugs (which 2 the ceramic was broken), changed the leads, changed to another coilpack. I hate to question you james. But are you sure it goes 1,3,4,2?

Can i ask, if the leads are connected incorrectly and i try to start the car, could this damage the engine? im worried about this.

Btw 2 of the leads are the same length and going by the order you say to connect them, lead from no.4 was too short to reach D on the coilpack. I ended up putting the 1-A 2-B 3-C and 4-D as the leads reached then. But it just splutters and dies. Wont start :?

Finally had a decent response from clublupo. I have the correct order they should be plugged into the coil pack.

The car turns over, it sounds like its trying to start, but just wont fire. :( im at a dead end now.

What is the firing order they gave you ? it does sound flooded,were the plugs wet when you took them out? when trying to go for a start keep the throttle held right down and keep it there !

As above

A is plugged to cylinder 1

B to Cylinder 3

C to cylinder 4

and D is cylinder 2

That does mean i had them the wrong way round at one point, 4 and 2. Is it possible to cause damage by doing this?

I did put my foot to the floor and tried to start it, it did turn over a few times, but then it just stopped turning over. So i had to turn the key off and try again. I didnt notice that the plugs were wet, they were really black, not sooty (though it could have been that fuel had mixed with the soot) and cylinder 3 and 2 the NGK plus ceramic was cracked, like you said could have happened. They fell apart when i got them out.

No damage will happen by trying to turn it over,sounds like its flooded,take the plugs out,heat them up with a hair dryer until really hot,or put them on the stove element etc...then quickly put them back in and go for a start with your foot down.

Ok i'll give that a try tomorrow. Unforunately the only plugs i could get hold of from the local motor shop were champions, would rather have used bosch or NGK. But still they should still work.

Thanks for the help James, it really appreciated fella. :D

No worries bud,still like to hear it start :lol:

Dont worry i'll be back if it wont start. :lol:

Wouldnt leaving it, even for a few mins allow the excess fuel to evaporate?

Cool, my concerns with that though is being able to get the plug out, heated up and plugged back in, quick enough.

One thing i did forget to tell you was, last night when i was trying to start it i had vagcom hooked up to it and a temp sensor error came up. Could this have any influence?

yes as it can cause the car to overfuel,best check its connection and while in vagcom in current/live data see what it read from cold...

Any idea where the temp sensor is on a 1 litre lupo? :oops:

yes as it can cause the car to overfuel,best check its connection and while in vagcom in current/live data see what it read from cold...

Any idea where the temp sensor is on a 1 litre lupo? :oops:[/quote:pkd0f3he]

This is it i think

Any idea where the temp sensor is on a 1 litre lupo? :oops:

This is it i think[/quote:3cc4s3y5]

Hang on thats not the same engine. The oil filler is on the wrong side. I didnt know the engine code when i went to get the plugs, i gave the reg and they found it out for me and told me it was an AUC engine code. Its a 1 litre SE, could you check that for me mate?