Sign in to follow this  
timmaaah

Need a new car +/- £5000

Long story short:

Have a 2009 Pug 107 as the daily (VR being rebuilt/repaired/having loads of cash thrown at it etc etc et al), but what with our little one (and maybe another soon) we seriously need a bigger car.

I reckon we'll get 5k easy for the little 107 and we have a few pounds saved up. Missus likes the idea of a Ford Mucous (poss estate) - circa 2006. What other options are there? I'd like something with a bit more charisma than a Mucous. Performance wise, anything has to be better than the teenytiny 998cc engine (top speed 98mph my hairy testicles :shock: ), but I'd like something a bit more refined.

Over to you....... :D

/edit - needs to be reliable and will eventually be the daily hack when swmbo goes back to work (hope to have the VR for ferrying the little'uns by then) but I'd like something a bit nicer/interesting in the meantime :D

There's an ST170 version of the Focus estate. I briefly flirted with the idea of one a year or so back. I think it would probably be a good compromise between sensible and smiles, though they're thin on the ground.

If you want charisma you need to steer clear of the mainstream (and definitely German).

I'd go real oddball / left field and consider:

Alfa 166

Alfa GT

Renault Avantime

MK5 GTi as previously mentioned is over your budget

I run an E46 BMW 320D Touring as a family car. Well screwed together and economical to run too, will run for years too

Octavia hatch or estate. Absolutely love our vRS estate- perfect family car- so practical, yet fast and fun when needed. It takes such a battering from the kids and does loads of miles. Nothing's gone wrong in over five years of ownership.

Yep would easily suggest a skoda these days and when folk take the micky you get to take the micky back when you leave them in a cloud :lol:

I know of someone selling a Seat Leon TDI New Shape for around the 5k mark, i think it a nicer looking car than the mark 5 golf.

2.2 derv Titanium (X) Mondeo.

Very well specced, handle pretty well for a barge as well. Would definitely be worth a tryout.

If it's a daily are you too bothered if it's a bit bland to drive?