Sign in to follow this  
law262

To keep or not to keep OEM oil cooler?

In the summer im going to fit a 13 row cooler with 80c stat, do i..

a. keep the oem cooler and run inline with the mocal

b. delete it and just run with the mocal

if i remove the oem cooler and im stuck in traffic on a hot day bumper to bumper what will cool the oil as there is no air passing through the mocal?

actually i would look at it another way - keep the oem as well so that the oil doesnt cool too much in the winter, and warms up more quickly too.

What fla says.. I got the Mocal with the 80c thermostat, and during winter (colder then 5 degrees outside) I struggle to get it over 80 degrees. Usually takes 10-15minutes or so.. :eek:

It bolts up underneath the original cooler, but you need a shorter oil filter, or just saw the "nut" of on the original one. :)

...if i remove the oem cooler and im stuck in traffic on a hot day bumper to bumper what will cool the oil as there is no air passing through the mocal?

I'd have thought the engine/head water jacket would be perfectly capable of keeping the engine (and so the oil) cool enough at idle or crawling without the oil/water heat exchanger.

But good to keep the heat exchanger as it does help balance coolant and oil temps at all times and good for warm up and economy as mentioned, bigger power VW engines still use them (albeit with a bigger capacity)

You can buy my 13 row kit if you want because I won't be refitting it :D

why's that? I would have though FI needs all the cooling it can get? Unless you have another more effective solution...

My VRT runs no hotter than it did when it was standard in terms of oil and water temps.

I bought a load of Gulf 10W/60 from Opie Oils when it was on offer so I will switch to that for the summer months. That stuff can easily withstand 130 deg C if it ever gets that high, which is higly unlikely on the roads I use!

I've also got an R32 heat exchanger to experiment with too but I have no need for a Mocal any more :D

Haywire? Do you have the extension part to the centre bolt to fit the OEM cooler in with the sandwich plate? How much would you want for it?