Sign in to follow this  
Joe M

Opinions on these cheap cars..

Looking for a cheap car under a grand, unfortunately cant get a decent corrado for that nowadays, wish id never sold mine last year, seems like I sold it at the worst time possible now the prices have shot up again.

Anyways, got 2 local cars to go see this week, anyone got any experience of them?

First one is a Toyota Celica 2.0GT, '93 model with the pop up headlights, 170bhp but probably got the same overly long gear ratios as the MR2?

The other one is an E36 BMW 318iS, ive always wanted to have a 6 cylinder model for a while to try out, is the 318iS going to be woefully underpowered at 140bhp?

It is, thats why im not so sure about if it will be any good or not, there not the lightest of cars.

Celica for me...

Also consider Honda preludes from the mid 90's with the digital clusters. 2.something vtech and 200bhp aint bad plus its a honda so all is good.

the e36 318is is pretty rubbish, e30 is a winner if you can find one though!

2nd Abdul on the prelude.. hard to find a 2.2 manual though.

Try gumtree, usually turns up a few decent cars for me under a grand.. always worth a look.

Was going to say the e30 318is wasn't a bad car at all! Not half as good in E36 flavour though unfortunately.

For 1k I think I would get something lightweight and fun like 1.9 pug 205

Having had a 318 ci E36, I'd say of the two bimmers, go for the E30. I was going to sell the C and bought that as a replacement as I wanted something RWD, but saw sense and decided to do the work to put the C back on the road.

I'm with Kev though, pick yourself up a Pug 205 gti 1.9, great fun, very quick, and some good mods to make them insane. And they'll still embarrass a lot of newer bigger cars!!

E30 would be good, but just looking at whats available locally just now. Not looking for something to mod, requirements are 4 good tyres, long mot and not a slug. The Celica and E36 im looking at are both around £500, seems the going rate for the Celica, cheap for the BMW, the guys emigrating so needs rid of it quick.

Had a look at the Preludes, like them as well.