Sign in to follow this  
OllieVR6

Remove and refit existing windscreen?

After replacing the foliage cover seal to try and fix the leak in the cabin I have finally found the culprit :mad:

The top corner of the windscreen seat on the passenger side is rusty and is letting water in :(

Is it possible to remove a windscreen and then refit it, or are they useless once they have been removed? I'm not going to know how bad it is without getting it taken out but after seeing some of the horrors on here I'm a bit worried about it all.

I'm hoping I can get a fitter round to remove the screen, leave it with me, I'll clean it up and fix the rust, then get them back to refit it. Will this be possible? What do you think I will be charged?

Cheers,

Ollie.

It is possible, but for the effort I'd probably take a hammer to the screen and then claim on the insurance instead :ignore:

It's a common problem on the corrado, usually caused by screen fitters damaging the paint when they remove old screens and then the outer trim hides the growing corrosion

Im pretty sure corrado windscreens are glued in so taking them out is going to be very risky! It can be done but chances are you'll end up damaging it and the last thing you want to do is put the screen in for it to start cracking.

As David says... i heard a rock hit your screen the other day...

Yep forget it. It'll take far longer and probably cost way nope than the 60 quid excess to fit a new one. Cant see a windscreen company having a problem with it if you explain what you want to do. I know mine didn't mind in the slightest. :-)

as above , when mine went in for a respray they tried to take it out and it split . it was then they discoverd the pillers were rotten, they replaced these. anywho the point is when i rang autoglass they had no problem with fitting a new one . apparently they call them a fitters nightmare because of notorious piller rot, thats why mine broke because they had put so much mastic in to fill over all thr rust !.

Hmm, this sucks. So I need to put a chip/crack in the screen then arrange for them to take it out then fit a new one another day? I know it varies greatly but if I need it welded, what's a ball park figure for how much I will have to pay to get it collected on a flat bed and get it welded?

You could ring up anonymously and ask if you can have your windscreen replaced if you pay your excess, i can't actually remember seeing anything in any insurance documents that said your existing windscreen needed to be damaged, its just 'replacement'. Therefore you could go to a spray shop, get a quote for repairing your windscreen and see if you can sweet talk a windscreen fitter to come take our your screen, let the repairman sort the rust out, then refit you a new one. Im betting a spray shop will charge you for removal of it anyway so why not see if your insurance can help out a little?

Hi ollievr6

firstly the windscreen has to have damage for a insurance claim a scratch drivers in drivers view,chip or crack make it a mot fail.

most windscreen companys should remove at body shop or home and then come back fit the new screen.

they due rust at the aperture as the rubber surround is not a seal and under has a gap witch dirt gathers so rusts, but also if windscreen fitter does not use primer make it worse.

not sure where you say its leaking but take it to a local windscreen company it might be able put a little glue to stop leak ?

read my comments:fitter SORTED 7/9/10

hope it helps