Sign in to follow this  
Philuk

Shallower Suspension Caps?

the bit that stops the strut falling out when you jack up the car now sits waaaaaay to high and is starting to catch on the underside of the bonnet. other than looking totally dogger aswell! does anyone kno if anybody makes some shallower ones so i can bring the level of em down.

166850_10150090095521030_504701029_6020276_7278282_n.jpg

see what i mean!

this isnt using a standard suspension top mount, its using one of the suspersport efforts. it only fits one way because thats all i could think was wrong but the rubber is contoured to fit inside the turret

i kno its turd aint it. gonna have to take it all apart again and have a look but im sure there wasnt another way for it to fit...

Why don't lay out in plan view on the ground (photo) what you are putting together so we can see the whole set of parts you are assembling at the top of the strut and it what order.

it's an aftermarket item so it seems. I've never seen that before. Some fussy garages would consider that an MOT fail too, can't remember why though.

Never seen that top mount before so I could be wrong. Any particular benefits of them?

they were weird. like domes of rubber not like the conevntional top mount and the bearing is mounted quite a way up into it which is what lowers the car aswell. i wasnt bothered about lowering it but it came part and parcel of the uprated top mounts. apparently the Polo 6n top caps fit this but ill get it whacked off and get some pics up for you all to view! :p. like i say the rubber part of the mount could only fit in 1 way and thats how it came! its so odd :/

http://www.venommotorsport.com/manufact ... el=Corrado

is the top mounts

you can buy drophead spanners that should fit, can't remember the size though. You will probs need to sleeve the spanner with a bar to increase the torque to undo with.

If they look like the ones in the link you posted I think yours are the wrong way up.

only thing is like i said the rubber is shaped to fit inside the top of the turret. and is flat on the other side.. gonna have to come apart again and have another look but i cant see how else it could go together..

the metal dishes are the standard units and are from factory!

really? I've got VR6 gas shocks on my plum all round and my top mounts don't look anything like that. They almost look like they're from another car.

All the top mount plates I have seen on Cs look like the mk2 ones. I'll scour my thread and try to find the pics of my suspension building.

That's not with the caps on tho is it cause you put them on after installing the shocker then put the nut on top

I would have said the top mounts are the problem. Looks like they are allowing the shock to sit too high. We are assuming that you have screwed the metal cap all the way down?

Trouble is, that cap stops the shock dropping down when the weight is taken off the suspension, which might be interesting on a rough bit of road

I've ordered some 6n polo metal caps which are shallower so will see what these are like and get some pics of all the suspension apart for you all!

That's not with the caps on tho is it cause you put them on after installing the shocker then put the nut on top

you're right. You can see how the rubber mounts though. This is what all the top mount plates I've seen look like, classic Mk2 items (on right with plastic ring on edge):

IMG_0059.jpg

they don't have any markings inside the dropped centre like yours do, they're just a huge washer basically, with a sunken section in the middle, perhaps 1" deep?

If my car was outside, I would go take pics! :/

Phil, going back to your original picture? what is the black thing which is hard up against the wheel arch side of the strut tower? is that your rubber top mount?

The metal cap isn't wrong, it's just not sitting right. It's sitting far too high. You either need more thread on the end of the piston (to screw the cap down further) or it's your top mount letting the piston sit too high (like it's too thin)