Pat_McCrotch

Chineese MK2 Jetta Dash. Interesting....

Interesting, i didnt realise the old jetta was still in production, albeit revamped - it looks smart. I quite like it actually.

I could do with a set of brand new heater controls :D i'll start writing of list of wants. :lol:

I spoke to vinve @ stealth the other day, who paid £180 for a new set of passat controls from the stealer... crazy money...

I spoke to vinve @ stealth the other day, who paid £180 for a new set of passat controls from the stealer... crazy money...

I paid £56 for a set of MK3 Passat ones last year (for a 96 model). SEAT have a different pricing policy on parts compared to VW so we may be in luck. I looked at 6 Corrados in the last two months and all of them had the tight switch problem.

I paid £56 for a set of MK3 Passat ones last year (for a 96 model). SEAT have a different pricing policy on parts compared to VW so we may be in luck. I looked at 6 Corrados in the last two months and all of them had the tight switch problem.

know what you are saying! usually the bowden cables seen better days! luckily mine are ok, just that the heater controls fell apart when doing my matrix!

Im not confincedd its all down to the bowden cable. I broke my original set of dials - the direction dial cog snapped, due to me forcing it. I changed the bowden cable and got another second hand set of heater controls, but the direction between feet and the face vents is still stiff. Between the feet and the windscreen its spot on though.

I think we all need to find a solution. The other problem with the controls is that the plastic lens thing that transmits the green light goes funny and only lights the centre vent :censored:

would be interesting if someone could find out if the parts used are the same.. i have a contact who could get anything over, but would be unlikely to find out part numbers etc..

I can get Part numbers :) The problem is 80% of the stuff on that dash is LHD specific. However for the obselete bits like the dash blanks and instrument binnicle covers it could be very handy....and not massively expensive to put a couple of hundred of each over :)

Although the heater panel is LHD, if it only costs £20 from China it might be worth someone ordering one to see if they can be swapped over?

I can get Part numbers :) The problem is 80% of the stuff on that dash is LHD specific. However for the obselete bits like the dash blanks and instrument binnicle covers it could be very handy....and not massively expensive to put a couple of hundred of each over :)

Although the heater panel is LHD, if it only costs £20 from China it might be worth someone ordering one to see if they can be swapped over?

well do what you can and let me know, could be looking at march delivery if something is organised fairly quickly..

If they have exported it Japan, there will be a RHD. Can't find it at the moment but there are on-line Chinese ETKA's.

Always liked the look of those lower dash shelves even if they require a bit of work to fit - the fit of some of the Corrado interior plastics is dire compared to a MK2 or 3 Golf!

Always liked the look of those lower dash shelves even if they require a bit of work to fit - the fit of some of the Corrado interior plastics is dire compared to a MK2 or 3 Golf!

Tell me about it! And this was meant to be a premium sports coupe in the 90s. I'm still struggling to get the lower shelf below the fusebox to line up neatly :censored:

Im not confincedd its all down to the bowden cable. I broke my original set of dials - the direction dial cog snapped, due to me forcing it. I changed the bowden cable and got another second hand set of heater controls, but the direction between feet and the face vents is still stiff. Between the feet and the windscreen its spot on though.

Yep, that's just how they are, as I've said many times :lol:

The mechanism for the screen is a dual-action affair which closes the foot flap and redirects the face / screen flap. As one cable pushes, the other is pulled, which is why it's twice as stiff as the hot / cold knob, which only moves one flap.

I have opened the flaps manually without the controls before and the screen flap is inordinately stiff compared to the others. I've tried to find my way into the heater box to see if the system can be improved but without removing the entire heater box, it's impossible. Not sure there is much you can do anyway, besides fitting a better heaterbox, from say a MK3 Golf, which doesnt' seem to suffer this problem.

As I've said before, it's when people 'force' the screen flap into position instead of feeling it in gently, is what causes the breakages.

Mine needs some heat in it before it will switch to the screen vent. When cold it doesn't want to know at all. So if all the air directions work-ish, then my advice is to leave it on the screen position so you at least have the demisting function in winter!

Another thing I've noticed is that it's slightly easier to turn the flap direction control when the blower's turned off.

With regards to the chinese dash parts, you can't be sure the quality will be up to VAG standards. I wouldn't be surprised if their interior panels dont line up straight either

Not sure there is much you can do anyway, besides fitting a better heaterbox, from say a MK3 Golf, which doesnt' seem to suffer this problem.

Do the mk3 golf dials and heather box work in the same way as the rado dials and heater box then??

Would this be a viable swap....obviously using the bits from the mk3 dials to get your rado dials working, or fabricating the mk3 dials to fit into the rado dash somehow???

Another thing I've noticed is that it's slightly easier to turn the flap direction control when the blower's turned off.

Yeah that does make quite a difference! Especially when the blower is set to greater than 2.

Yeah the surface area of 2 flaps being blown on (Steady Toad / Supercharged) can put up quite a resistance to move. I always move my flaps on speed 1, or no fan :D

Yeah I believe the MK3 uses the same cable system but I've never delved behind the dash to find out for sure. A lot of them have factory A/C (better than the dealer fit Diava system Corrados got!) which will be the main differences.

Yeah the surface area of 2 flaps being blown on (Steady Toad / Supercharged) can put up quite a resistance to move. I always move my flaps on speed 1, or no fan :D

Yeah I believe the MK3 uses the same cable system but I've never delved behind the dash to find out for sure. A lot of them have factory A/C (better than the dealer fit Diava system Corrados got!) which will be the main differences.

ahhh. they have a personality all of there own! and sound as quirty as some of the VB scripts I write :)