Sign in to follow this  
sprinterVR6

New GTi. Holy + sh'eet!

Anyone else reckon the new GTi is in fact stunning? :clap:

............and that kit is as standard :norty:

Maybe you guys have seen loads of them already both on the road & in reviews etc, or I've missed all the fan-fare :shrug: , but here in Ireland, I've not seen anyway, or any decent pics / reviews...so it's kinda sneaked up and Tango'd me a bit :shock:

Yeah I've seen a few round my way .......like them, quite conservative though !!

Saw a scirocco R the other day though - now that is nice and I'm not even a fan of the scirocco :)

Agreed on the looks Kev. MK6 just looks like the MK5 in a fat suit! The MK5 was a bit more pure and a bit cleaner..

Exactly Jim! The MK5 for me represented the GTI's return to form. I'm not sure we needed a MK6 so soon tbh, there was nowt wrong with the 5, but we know what car makers are like these days.

The 6 should have had more development instead of just being a cost cutting excercise. Take Evo's Evo X versus Impreza STI versus Golf R group test this month, for example, where the R came out pretty average - considering it costs MORE then the Evo X!

Evo even said "What does the R do that the GTI doesn't?" Not a lot was their answer. Way, way over-priced.

VAG have lost the plot. £30K for a Golf and £45k for a TT, it's bonkers :cuckoo:

Yep. Also with you on the situation with VW and their pricing. It is utterly ridiculous. We don't even need to talk about the insanity of the RS3...

Exactly Jim! The MK5 for me represented the GTI's return to form. I'm not sure we needed a MK6 so soon tbh.........

Yup agree with that also, much prefer the MK5 style and I scratched my head when the MK6 was introduced so soon .......there cant be that much difference dynamically :scratch:

Yep. Also with you on the situation with VW and their pricing. It is utterly ridiculous. We don't even need to talk about the insanity of the RS3...

although, the converse of that situation is that apparently VW are just about to overtake Ford as the No.1 manufacturer in the UK, and the reason given..?? Lower prices! Seems like a lower-at-the-bottom but still high-at-the-top strategy is paying off for them?

Also with you on the situation with VW and their pricing. It is utterly ridiculous. .........

Its catching as well - did you see the article in EVO this month about Vauxhalls 'new' VXR8 - thats jumped in price from £35K to £45K in the blink of an eye ....... :cuckoo: surely vauxhall dont expect people to go and buy this over a M3 as thats how good it has to be now with that price tag !!

Yup agree with that also, much prefer the MK5 style and I scratched my head when the MK6 was introduced so soon .......there cant be that much difference dynamically :scratch:

Was speaking to Mic VR about this as he's had both as company cars when he worked at a dealer and he felt the MK6 drove better. Smoother, quieter etc, but not much different dynamically. Better engine in the MK6 though, apparently. I think it's a Yamaha based design and they went back to port injection instead of direct injection IIRC.... One thing the MK6 engines get praise for is consistent pull across the rev range, which is definitely not something the old 1.8T and early TFSI motors could boast :D

although, the converse of that situation is that apparently VW are just about to overtake Ford as the No.1 manufacturer in the UK, and the reason given..?? Lower prices! Seems like a lower-at-the-bottom but still high-at-the-top strategy is paying off for them?

Yeah they've been clever again. My Mum's MK7 Polo is coming up to end of it's PCP agreement and she's looking to take on another deal. As you say, after going round the Ford, Vauxhall, Toyota et al and VW dealers, the MK8 Polo deals came out cheapest overall. Obviously we're talking base level models here.

I think VAG's flagship models are always going to cost considerably more than their nearest competitors. I don't understand why though when you compare horsepower and equipment levels. In a lot of cases you are actually paying more for less with the VW, and VW can no longer boast of superior build quality either, imo. Ford and especially Vauxhall have caught up, big time!

Take these 2 cars:-

Evo X. 300hp/torque, extremely good 4WD chassis, very fast - £30K.

Golf R. 260hp/torque, average 4WD chassis, average pace for it's size / output - £31K.

The Evo X represents everything Mitsubishi have learned with constant Lancer development and it's a renowned, devastatingly quick A to B car.

The Golf is merely VAG's usual marriage of a 3rd party mass produced 4WD (of sorts) system and the engine and interior from any old VAG car.

Any true petrol head's choice would naturally be the Evo, surely? More performance for less money. Seems like a no brainer to me.

So it'll be interesting to see from Andy665 what the sales figures of the Golf R are like? I just cannot see the justification for charging £30K for a £24K car, tops.

I have seen a single Golf R on the road and not a single Scirocco R so far. In contrast, R32's seemed to be fairly common..

Ditto, seen plenty of Sciroccos, but no Rs. Golf or Rocco.

The R32, imo, you could kind of justify the ~ £25K price because of that engine.

On the face of it, VAG appear to be charging £6K extra for 16 more hp and 2 fewer cylinders. All the other key drivetrain is the same as the R32's.

I have seen a single Golf R on the road and not a single Scirocco R so far. In contrast, R32's seemed to be fairly common..

I've seen both about a couple of times, driven the Golf, was nice, but 20ish K nice not 30k...

I reckon it's the 6 pot that sold the R32's. The Golf 'R' just doesn't have the same buzz and no one likes the sound of an R20 lol.

As I've said before, I had the pleasure of a Scirocco R for a weekend last summer. Very nice car, very quick, and felt better put together than the normal Scirocco I borrowed back in 2008. But it just isn't worth £30k whichever way you skin it. My mate just bought a 1.5 year old Leon Cupra for £13k, stuck a Revo remap on it, and now it's putting out 300BHP and 310lb/ft. Would walk all over the Scirocco for less than half the price. Doesn't look as pretty though I admit.

Some people dont want to drive about in a 5 year old car though. You cant just say there not worth £30K, you have take them in comparison with what other new cars cost. They may be slighty more but not a huge amount more. As for the bashing that the RS3 is getting, I bet you they completely sell out and in a few years time they will still be worth a lot. If you know someone is going to pay £45k for it then why not ask for that? They are all in it to make money after all.

Some people dont want to drive about in a 5 year old car though. You cant just say there not worth £30K, you have take them in comparison with what other new cars cost. They may be slighty more but not a huge amount more. As for the bashing that the RS3 is getting, I bet you they completely sell out and in a few years time they will still be worth a lot. If you know someone is going to pay £45k for it then why not ask for that? They are all in it to make money after all.

True. You've got to admit though, both are stupendously overpriced considering what you get but then that's what the current market dictates. The equivalent 1 series probably costs the same as the Golf R. The RS3 is still a stupid car though imo.

Yep, who buys these cars and why isn't the debate. We know people will always buy what's on offer, it's just a general debate on how VAG's pricing has sky rocketed in recent years without any real justification - in raw terms. I.e. How can 16hp more than an R32 command an increase in £6K?

When you consider VW proudly boast that they now have the Golf's build time reduced down to the same as a Focus's, why are they not charging us Focus money?

I did a price comparison earlier in the thread, 300hp Evo X for £30K or a 260hp Golf R for £31K. Another comparison is the Focus RS @ £26K. And also the Megane 250 is cheaper too IIRC, not to mention the SEATS with the same engine etc.

In pure performance terms, the Evo will eat the Golf alive in all A to B timed circuits, in all weathers (The focus and Megane would probably beat the Golf too!) and the others would certainly keep up in the midrange, cross country.

To me, as a car enthusiast, the Evo which can keep pace with many supercars on real world roads is worth that kind of money. But the Golf, marketed in the same performance / price point as the Evo and STI is madness and is why Evo magazine only awarded it 3.5 out of 5. It was just too far out of it's depth.

That's all the point I'm trying to make really..... it's performance doesn't match it's price. But have VW's ever been any different though? :D

Your right, they havent. I agree that in performance terms they never really justify thier price but if paying a lot for a car you want it to be something your going to live with and love everyday. When I was looking at the Mk5 I also looked at Leon Cupra's as they had the better engine like the Ed30 but then I looked inside one and knew I could not buy one. The central dash is awful. Ive also read the Evo test and it would seem that what the Golf lacks in performance it make up on interior quality. Audi are getting away with the high pricing as they are now seem as a premium brand and I suppose VW are trading on that as well to a certian extent. Remember resale has a part to play as well, I wonder how much they are all worth in say 3 years time?

You'd think they'd have updated the wheels for the MK6. That design has been around for bloody ages

Not that most of the Goofs around Birmingham seem to end up with Bentley wheels these days. I think we've also reached a point where the iconic Golf design has evolved to the extent that BBS no longer suit the look of the car.

But overall the car is nice. Be interesting to see whether a grey one looked as good as the black one does. :norty:

Was the Mk6 not brought in because the Mk5 was quite expensive to make so the margins are a lot better for the Mk6? I have to admit my Mk5 is by far the best all round car Ive had by a long way. Its just so competent at everything. Im not changing a thing on it. I had new wheels, suspension etc to go on but I just think putting them on will ruin its all round ability.

Was the Mk6 not brought in because the Mk5 was quite expensive to make so the margins are a lot better for the Mk6? I have to admit my Mk5 is by far the best all round car Ive had by a long way. Its just so competent at everything. Im not changing a thing on it. I had new wheels, suspension etc to go on but I just think putting them on will ruin its all round ability.

Yep it was!!!

Mk 6 is a heavy car like the mk 4 GTI

Ok... I'll tell you another car for £30k I'd have over the Scirocco R every single day of the week - even if it is a Vauxhall.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1869928.htm

2.8 turbo.. 4WD.. all the toys.. brembo brakes.. REALLY nice looking car in the metal. And if you shop around you can get these for about £24k. Almost getting to the price of a normal Golf GTI or Scirocco... which is REALLY ridiculous.

I stand my earlier comment that the Scirocco R is ludicrously overpriced!