Sign in to follow this  
Fanjita

Tappet woes!

Hi guys,

In my car thread I recently posted that I changed 11 tappets in the head following a lot of intensive reading as to possible reasons for my ghastly 2000rpm rattle.

Long story short it made a huge difference, the reason I only changed 11 was so the timing wasn't knocked out of place, and the one closest to the sprocket was not coming out of the gap!

So tappets were done, engine was quiet, lovely. Oil was topped up with fresh stuff, as was coolant, I had serviced it only 400 miles prior.

Then I drove 170 miles back to my student residence in London. Upon arriving I immediately noticed that there was a rattle again, albeit quieter but still there.

I wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this?

I did quite a bit of driving when I was home after the swap, and I was hugely convinced I had fixed it, she was incredibly quiet once more. As soon as i did the trip it was back!

Could it be the 12th tappet I didnt manage to change, or maybe the oil pressure?

Thanks,

James

I will try some additive soon, can you carry on running with the STP treatment or do you need an oil change pretty soon after?

I don't really want to waste 200 mile old castrol oil!

If the rattle is less obvious since changing 11 tappets and the rattle sounds more towards the sprocket end, it's aimimg towards the last tappet. They are sensitive even when refitting them back to an engine and are recommended to go back in their old position.

In heinsight, for what labour was involved getting to the tappets and replacing 11 of them against having the sprocket removed or locked to TDC would have ruled out a tappet issue.

Put a large screwdriver to the engine with the handle to your ear and listen to the noise, might help you further?

I haven't read the thread yet but are timing chains and tensioners/guides all healthy?

If the rattle is less obvious since changing 11 tappets and the rattle sounds more towards the sprocket end, it's aimimg towards the last tappet. They are sensitive even when refitting them back to an engine and are recommended to go back in their old position.

In heinsight, for what labour was involved getting to the tappets and replacing 11 of them against having the sprocket removed or locked to TDC would have ruled out a tappet issue.

Put a large screwdriver to the engine with the handle to your ear and listen to the noise, might help you further?

I haven't read the thread yet but are timing chains and tensioners/guides all healthy?

That is a very valid point, I guess the main reason we only did 11 was due to being short on time. Also I wanted to stop and get it all back together before my assistant dropped another nut/stud down a channel and this time can't get it back! (dont ask! I managed to recover the other 2 dropped objects though)

I slackened off the upper tensioner to have a little look, and it looked absolutely fine. History behind this engine is a rebuild by Stealth 5 years ago, compression tests were outstanding, all up to factory levels at around 50 degrees oil temp. Smells like it is burning oil from the head, and also shows by oil consumption.

Not sure if stealth tackled the bottom end, so it could be that the oil pump is worn, but after a lot of reading it appears these things are bulletproof and unlikely to work but not as well?

Would a recording help do you think?

Cheers,

James

Edit - just regarding the worn tappet replacement, the 12th tappet was never removed from it's location. The other 11 were swapped for identical INA new ones. The cams were held up whilst keeping the sprocket engaged with the chain, it allowed enough room to remove all the tappets bar this one.

I assumed that my attempts to unwind the sprocket in situ would be fruitless? Is the bolt not on extremely tight and requiring a vice or such like to unwind?

I did attempt to get the cam and sprocket out, but without the endplate removed and the tensioning bolt fully wound out, I could not remove said sprocket, there was not enough movement in the chain. What was i doing wrong?

Windy gun would have shocked it off perhaps?

Try a video, worth a shot

Sounds like it was one of those jobs!

Oil levels are good I assume, have you checked the levels recently? Not too much or too little?

I know how you feel about tappeting noises, they are v annoying but try the vibration test I suggested and work your way round nearer the right hand side. Does the engine sound healthy and holding power well?