Pat_McCrotch

Pat McCrotch's VR6

I've got a HTC Desire HD (so big screen Android phone)... I am sure it would be possible to build some sort of custom holder that mounts to the dash. I'm thinking of perhaps mounting it from the fake centre dash 'speaker'. If you get the right cradle, you may be able to supply power in and audio out (or even usb out if your headunit supports it). Wiring isn't a massive problem - there are plenty of ign lives or perm lives you could tap into, though I'd be tempted to use a feed to the radio to keep it all on the same circuit. Then you'd need to modify the cradle mount to suit your needs.

Another option may be to try to build a mounting point in one of the spare dash blanks.

Cheers mate :) The cassette box I bought on eBay was for a pre-facelift anyway :( I understand the post facelift one is shaped like the VDO dials.

To be honest, I may just bite the bullet and go VDO anyway. how do you go about sorting the wiring for it. Do you have to make a loom?

Supercharged came around today and we removed the front bumper (fitted incorrectly by previous owner), rust treated the lower carrier (in surprisingly good nick!) and fitted a brand new 90mil splitter. However, the metal brace bar was missing so i'm not planning on driving anywhere until the new one is fitted.

Edited by Supercharged

Just a couple of photo's after clay barring it for the first time ever. Not sure why I left it so long really, guess it was because of the fresh paint :)

Cheers mate :) The cassette box I bought on eBay was for a pre-facelift anyway :( I understand the post facelift one is shaped like the VDO dials.

To be honest, I may just bite the bullet and go VDO anyway. how do you go about sorting the wiring for it. Do you have to make a loom?

Looks like this....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48962[/ATTACH]

There's no hidden wiring for the VDO accessories (or back lighting the Cassette Holder light connection). Best way is to wire the instruments to a plug and socket at the back of the instruments. Then wire the short length to the instruments. Then if you want it out, just disconnect the plug and remove the panel with instruments. Wires go all over depending on what instruments you want to fit.

Picked up another snotter (plan is to sell the Honda as it's a little too juicy and needs 98 RON). MKIV Golf GTi 1.8 20v for £850; bodywork is mint but needs a new front roll bar and centre exhaust box. It's also got non-genuine 17's so will try and find some OEM 15's :) Lots of MOT and tax :)

My god, what an AWFUL thing to drive. It rolls more than a Bakers Oven and its slow as hell. But seems to get 38mpg without even trying and only needs 95RON. Interior is also a lovely place to be.

I'll post some pics up at the weekend when i've given it a good clean :)

Sure they were 15's? Seems a bit small to me. Think mine are 17's (mk4 4mo) and I bought it as an ex demo car from VW when it was 6 months old.

So why bother ?

Well. More an impulse thing really. But someone is coming to look at it to potentially buy it tomorrow. So if I can make £300 profit selling it I can get new rear calipers for the Honda (therefore meaning it will pass it's upcoming MOT) and get some change. All for a days cleaning and £50 on parts :)

By the way. It's not awful to drive because it's broken. All MKIV's are like that apparently! :D

Golf sold, made a tidy £250 and only after 1 days cleaning :)

Replaced the front calipers on the C with brand new VAG items. Only £61 + VAT for a pair! It was worth changing them just to see if it made a difference to the performance...

...it didn't! But the braided hoses have firmed up the pedal a bit which was my only real complaint anyway. Might invest in some grooved discs when the time comes :)

Can't argue with making a few pound notes. Especially if it marginally helps bank roll the Corrado.

The calipers you speak of. Are they Corrado specific, or are these plundered from another model ? For that money, I'm interested.

Proper 256mil Corrado calipers from the dealer!

£61 + VAT at staff rate I might add ;) With some discount you'd probably pay £80 + VAT but still a bargain IMHO.

280 mate - calipers are all 54mm though, the 280's are just wider than the 256's

If you have fitted the 256's you may just need to but the matching pads which have slightly less meat on them

Definitely 280's :)

Couple of pictures of the Accord at Snetterton on Monday. Used over 3 litres of oil over the whole day (piston rings worn, to be fair it was at 6000-8000rpm all day) but pulled strong and was overtaking RX8's and giving them a hard time out of the corners because of the LSD. No issues whatsoever throughout the day, don't think you could get a better track car for £1000.

Although it looked totally dated it was in it's element ;)

I'd just like to clarify: that's 3 litres of 10W/60 :lol:

The worn out motor probably explains why I wasn't exactly thrilled in the VTEC zone last time I drove it! How much to recon one of these motors mate? Seems a shame to get rid if it's quite reasonable to rebuild.