Pat_McCrotch

Pat McCrotch's VR6

It would probably be cheaper to buy a 2.2 Prelude and nick the engine from that :) Thing is although the oil consumption is excessive (1000 miles a to a litre of oil on road) the poke is all still there...must be if it was neck and neck with RX8's down the straights! These Honda engines are strong old beasts :) I think I am starting to notice a bit of piston slap from cold though.

As it owes me so little i'm tempted to do an engine rebuild on it at some point in the future so I can learn how to do it. It's a big old engine bay so would be fairly nice to take an engine out of. But they are known for using allot of oil anyway after 100,000 miles.

Might just be valve stems. Bore / ring wear usually smokes under hard acceleration, but yeah, high revving engines to tend to use more oil than a less stressed motor.

Good excuse to drop an S2000 lump in. 240hp, but absolutely no torque out of VTEC though :D

Interesting :) I wonder if it would even fit, I think the S2000 is longitudinal fitment.

Facelift ones go for about £2-3k now, it's seriously tempting to get another. Although I would love a DC5 Integra. £10k for a 10 year old car is a joke though.

Yep, longitudinal but without researching it, I'm guessing it will fit a FWD gearbox though.

Yeah I love the DC5 but as you say, hideous money. It would need to be a weekend car only for you though as you will hate the noise and very hard ride :lol:

Right, the bit i've been dreading and looking forward to will be starting soon :)

- Paint of bonnet, front bumper, slam panel and sides.

- Retrim of front leather seats (although I need to find a passenger seat to nick the boulsters from if anyone has one? Leather not important). Might see if I can get the RECARO, KARMANN or Corrado logo etched in them at the same time :)

So after a year of putting everything together it's now all coming off again!

Well after 2 months of sitting on the driveway and not much movement she is off to the 'Barn' tomorrow and i'll be making a start of stripping it down on the weekend.

The Honda will be gone on Thursday/Friday next week. The VR will almost definitely not be ready by then though so I will have to find alternative transport for a week or so.

Excited, but at the same time crapping myself/not looking forward to what lies underneath the underseal :o

It'll be fine, any little holes are easy fixed and covered up again with new underseal, still not got round to doing my underseal but figured i'm just going to sort it out in patches rather than try to strip it all off at once.

I want to remove my underseal next year and re do it all, very interested in what process you follow removing the old stuff etc...

Pete

If you're talking about the rubbery underseal underneath, I would only remove any that's loose and obviously rusty personally. Not really a good idea to break the factory seal if it's still tight. If you can't reapply new underseal in a humidity controlled atmosphere, you could end up trapping moisture under it and it'll rot from the inside out.

It's actually the sill bits. So the stone chip protection really I suppose :)

It's begins...so far i've stripped the interior to get the near side rear window out and stripped both outer bits of the doors (handles, mirrors, scraper mouldings and mirror trims). The bumper being painted tomorrow then when dry put back together at the front. The OS wing, both doors, sills and NSR quarter will then be painted.

Got new scraper mouldings, roof strips, front lower grille and bonnet insultation to go back on. Oh, and a number plate lighter holder (little bit of rust there to be sorted out)

I REALLY want the bonnet done but my old man is already moaning like **** about doing it. So i'll have to break it to him gently that I want it done :)

Then, it'll be filled with more wax than whats in an OAP's ear and it'll be ready for the winter :)

Edited by Pat_McCrotch

Houston, we have rust :(

What I thought was a laquer bubble under the lower edge of the OSR bonded window has turned out to be a full blown rust hole. I've never seen this type of rust before on a Corrado before and the window doesn't look like its ben removed. So I can only assume that it was scratched while fitting 15 years ago or that in the past someone has managed scratch it underneath the seal. All welded up now though ready for painting.

Other than that. No other rust found so far :)

I was a bit worried when I started reading then! Sounds like you've sorted it though. Is welding pretty straight forward? Never had a go myself, but it's something I think I should learn...

Good work mate, will try and catch up later in week - in Bury tomorrow but guess you'll be in Ips?

Good to hear your dad's moaning already - can you cheer him up and tell him I need a MKV front bumper painting :lol:

I was a bit worried when I started reading then! Sounds like you've sorted it though. Is welding pretty straight forward? Never had a go myself, but it's something I think I should learn...

yea easy peasy! its like putting pen to paper, the hard part is actualy fabricating your new metal to fit, with car panels you prety much have to tack weld and join it all up bit like dot to dot otherwise the heat distorts the thin metal.get yourself a cheap sealey mig welder and practice on old panels, it isnt hard,just got to set your heat and wire speed, if its to hot your blow through the metal if its to cold your weld will sit on top and not penetrate and will break off or be weak.

yea easy peasy! its like putting pen to paper, the hard part is actualy fabricating your new metal to fit, with car panels you prety much have to tack weld and join it all up bit like dot to dot otherwise the heat distorts the thin metal.get yourself a cheap sealey mig welder and practice on old panels, it isnt hard,just got to set your heat and wire speed, if its to hot your blow through the metal if its to cold your weld will sit on top and not penetrate and will break off or be weak.

Nice one- thanks mate. Sounds pretty easy really. One of those things that seems a bit daunting, but in reality, probably isn't! I'll have to ask Santa for some kit then ;)

Nice one- thanks mate. Sounds pretty easy really. One of those things that seems a bit daunting, but in reality, probably isn't! I'll have to ask Santa for some kit then ;)

yea daunting realy is the right word, now that ive done the welding work on my car i actualy feel confident with a welder,so its taken around 8 welding jobs for it to sink in and feel comfortable with welding, all welds get grinded smooth so neatness doesnt matter,also the main thing which i dont think many people take into concideration when thinking about welding is fire!! but iv taken precuations , like haveing an extinguiser at hand and also use a heat gel called "hot not" which protects areas from heat damage and if there was a fire as soon as it reaches the gel its out.

Right, no photos unfortunately as just trying to get on with the work. But heres whats been done so far;

- Front Bumper sprayed

- OSF wing sprayed

- NS quarter glass removed, rust removed from underneath, welded up and whole panel painted.

- OS door painted

I've fitted new door scrapers, handle & mirror gaskets and various nuts & bolts. As well as even more wax protection ;)

I'm now putting all the interior back together. and the front bumper is back on. Then phase two starts;

- Any broken underseal removed, rust treated and re-applied

- Rear number plate lamp rust treated and painted.

- New roof mouldings to go on (although mine aren't actually that bad at the moment so I may wait until next year to fit these.)

And finally, if there's enough paint over then the front bonnet. It's not massively bad at the moment. Just a few chips etc but may as well whilst there. I'll be chucking some new foam on at the same time.

In other developments. I've ordered an OEM set of Corrado VR6 Winter Steelies although I will be trying to limit winter use for obvious reasons :) Also sourced a period VAG 6CD Changer to go with the Gamma 4

Edited by Pat_McCrotch