Sign in to follow this  
eugopnosaj

Whining PAS

My power steering whines but only when i move it, however it doesn't only happen at full lock, it happens when i turn the wheel only slightly. I don't think the belt is too tight (it was replaced just before Christmas) and it doesn't whine when the car starts.

I've recorded a video from inside the car in which you can hear the noise, it happens both directions and the video is taken whilst the car is stationary. Half way through the video i turn the car off (the buzzing is just to tell me the lights are on) and restart it so you can hear that it doesn't make the noise whilst starting.

So can you guys listen/watch the video and possibly suggest what it might be. If it is the tension on the belt I can try and change it but it seems ok to me.

Corrado PAS video

EdIt: I also get feedback from the steering wheel, when I hear the whine the steering wheel starts to shake/wobble

could be the pressure relief valve in the pump body

remove the pressure hose from the pump and drain fluid

unscrew pressure valve under that and extract valve and springs

check for scoring inside drilling in pump body

check for scoring on outside of valve

clean little filter in valve

reassemble and put new fluid in

if there's obviously a problem with the valve I have a few spare that might be better

I've revived an old pump by actually removing scores with wet and dry and doing several fluid changes :)

sounds like the pump is fubarred

they were cheap enuff and not difficult to fit, just a little fiddly

not sure on prices now tho. also worth considering when the fluid was last changed

makes all the difference

Cool thanks, I'll have a look, is the valve easy enough to get to from underneath the car?

Simple as it sounds have you checked the belt is unser tension? I've had this problem before and it turned out to be the belt being loose.

sounds like the pump is fubarred, they were cheap enuff and not difficult to fit, just a little fiddly not sure on prices now tho. also worth considering when the fluid was last changed makes all the difference

Simple as it sounds have you checked the belt is unser tension? I've had this problem before and it turned out to be the belt being loose.

Fluid was changed last month (vw green) as was the belt and have had the pump off before (loosened it too much when trying to get the alternator belt off, same time as belt changes), checked the tension a couple of weeks ago and it seemed ok but the car doesnt get used a huge amount so it might have worked itself loose, will check again at the weekend as it wasnt making these noises before the belt was replaced.... :scratch: If it is the pump i do have another one but i dont know if it works

Cool thanks, I'll have a look, is the valve easy enough to get to from underneath the car?

it's under the pressure hose union, which is on the side of the pump nearest the block, on the top of it (the fill hose id the one with the jubilee clip and fits underneath) I think you can extract it fine without removing the pump.