onestep

Corrado track toy

Car’s really looking great!

I know that chap in the stripped out CLK55, he said and I quote ‘that Corrado blitzed past me on one run’. :D The CLK maxed at 172mph.

Some great photos. Its comment like that above that make me wonder why I sold mine. It is so much fun when you surpise folk in a "simple" Corrado. Glad you have it fully caged.

Fantastic... just shows that, compared to some of those big power cars, you don't need to spend loads of money to get something with supercar performance.

182MPH in a Corrado just superb.. I'd say that I'd love to have a passenger ride some time, but I think it might be terrifying ;)

The turbo is a owen developments garret t3 and ihi small exhaust casting for better spool up time.

Ah cool, what's spool up like on it? That's one thing that's doing my head in trying to decide on a turbo.

Really impressive car !

Ah cool, what's spool up like on it? That's one thing that's doing my head in trying to decide on a turbo.

Really impressive car !

It really depends on what your using the car for. Mine is a little laggy for some tracks it really gets going at 3500rpm.

Im thinking a little wet nos just to help with the bit of lag more plans in the pipe line.

---------- Post added at 11:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 PM ----------

Car’s really looking great!

I know that chap in the stripped out CLK55, he said and I quote ‘that Corrado blitzed past me on one run’. :D The CLK maxed at 172mph.

I had a little chat with that guy. That merc goes well for just being stripped out..

---------- Post added at 11:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 PM ----------

Fantastic... just shows that, compared to some of those big power cars, you don't need to spend loads of money to get something with supercar performance.

182MPH in a Corrado just superb.. I'd say that I'd love to have a passenger ride some time, but I think it might be terrifying ;)

Go on Jim you no you want to...

I bought it today as it had a rado in it lol, looks sweet mate!

Not too keen on the chickenwire on the bumper but fair enuf .

I bought it today as it had a rado in it lol, looks sweet mate!

Not too keen on the chickenwire on the bumper but fair enuf .

Not really my cup of tea it used to have black aluminum mesh but it just broken when stones hit it thats why i have stainless steel now.

Hi guys and girls just a quick heads up to keep an eye on GOLF+ magazine April.

Thats a very nice Corrado fella, 182mph must have been a massive adrenalin rush.

I had mine featured in Golf+ last year... look forward to seeing your write up.

holy mother of god.... :o

182mph? Both speedo and rev counter off the end of the scales?

I NEED to get my 'rado back on the road with something a bit more crazy in it again!

Inspiring car you have there matey, utter respect... 8) (or should that be nutter?!)

There must be someone in VW involved in bringing the Corrado to this world in the first place that would be astounded at what their baby can do so many years on...

What gearbox are you running to get that speed!!! Impressive figures, they do handle those speeds very well. I maxed mine out and it felt very stable but that was probably 20mph down on your figures.

Didn't yours have the 3.68 final though?

Thanks for all the nice comments guys its been a very long road to get it this far and its still evolving.

The downpipe cracked recently so had to take it of to have it welded while it was off found some nasty cracks on the exh housing so the turbo is off the owen developments for a rebuild.Happy days.

I know my 'rado was very, very stable at 140mph at Bruntingthorpe, but it's good to know it'd be good for a few more MPH should a new engine have the grunt to get it up there...

Wonder if anyone's ever got one over 200mph? :)

Didn't yours have the 3.68 final though?

Yes, I got it of the clock so it would have been indicating about 175mph I reckon but using gearing charts it would have been a true 160mph-ish.

Wow its been along time since i up dated this.

Anyway march 2012 the downpipe cracked 3/4 the way round sounded like a tank lucky i was only a few miles from home.

The following week got it on a friends ramp for removal just thinking sweet get it welded and put it back on.

No such luck once i got it off i found the turbo exhaust housing had cracked between the waste gate and turbine and had been wearing the blades down.

Sent the turbo to owen developments for a rebuild got it back and they had pretty much replace the lot £1300 :( loads of heat distortion so no chance i was going to run the old crap jabba down pipe. Never liked it when i put it on years ago.

Always wanted a 3 inch down pipe to match the rest of the exhaust and i new it was going to be a big job to do this and had a semi idea how i was going to do this.

Install mk4 golf engine and gearbox mounts and dogbone mount so i can get rid of the mount on the back of the block which is the main reason you cant run a nice flowing downpipe.

Test fit engine and box with mk4 mounts on. First problem it don't fit between the chassis legs now so decided to cut some of the osf leg out till engine and box fit not a nice job.

Plated the leg up to maximize strength again.

Bolted the race vibratech engine and gearbox mount to the engine and box and alined the engine how we wanted it.

Built up box section from the legs to the new mounts. I was happy with how things were going by this point.

Next job remove sub frame cut original mounts off then refit sub frame to work out alinement of dog bone mount.

This point was not nice and spent a hole day thinking of how this was going to work with out chopping the sub frame in half pretty much.

In the end i bit the bullet and started chopping a bit at a time till i had the mount far enough into the sub frame so i could bolt it to the gearbox.

Spent 2 days cutting and welding plates back into the sub frame think i put 20 plates into it was really happy with the results. I think it looks very cool myself.

Fingers were crossed when we put the sub frame back on the car and bolted the engine and box up it all fitted at this point i had been working flat out for 4 weeks on the car and i was so happy it all fitted. Oh yeah my dead line was a spa track day 2 weeks from this point still so much to do.....

3 inch downpipe time this turned out to be more taxing than i had first thought.

First idea was to use a mk4 jabbasport 3 inch ihi cast exhaust elbow. Thought in my head this would work but it doesn't it comes out at the wrong angle.

Back to the drawing board.

Got some 3 inch stainless dairy bends and worked a way of how it could be done. But running out of time as car was booked in at jabbasport for a mapping session 5 days from now and my friend needed his ramp back so found a old skool rally engineering firm near me to make the downpipe had the car dropped off and gave them a hand making it.

Got the car back 3 days later ready for some long nights putting it back together ready for jabbasport.

Kev at jabba had it on the rollers and was texting me as it was going. All that hard work paid off it was spooling up a 1000rpm sooner on full boost at 3500rpm i was really happy.

Got it back to mot it then the next day drive it to spa for a 2 day track day no time to really test it.

Got us there and back with only to problems which we fixed while we were there.