Sign in to follow this  
VWVW

Adhesive for sticking back under bonnet foam..

The "waffle pattern" foam undert the bonnnet is saggy and is starting to peel off. Can anyone recommend a good adhesive so that I can stick it back in place.

cheers

These foam pads do wear out over time and when this is the case they become unstuck and perish / crumble upon touch. If yours have got to this stage do not waste your time trying to re-adhere them, just bite the bullet and renew or remove. Only the post "92" model year fos are still available from dealer, early bonnet foams discontinued some time ago now. If your foams are good then you will require an automotive contact adhesive, the best stuff is made by 3M.

I would try the 3M option definitely. I had to change the bonnet on my VR6 after it was subtly 'altered' by an Alicante bus driver and the bonnet from the scrapyard had terrible foam underneath. Only way to get it off was scraper and Nitro mors and was a horrible job, here is a link for the foam, not sure what the stealer would want but £10 it is more!!

http://www.corrado-teile.de/shop/produc ... o-VR6.html

Definitely not Nitro Mors .........gzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

Best way is B&Q White Spirits (not turps).

Sheet over the engine bay & wings to collect the foam & white spirit drips.

Shave all the foam off first.

Then brush on white spirit onto the rough foam/adhesive surface that has been left behind. Start at the front end of the panel so the white spirit runs down into the adhesive.

Best done, one panel in work, next being prepared.

Go for a cup of tea and wait 20 to 30 minutes for the white spirit to work into the adhesive.

You will know its ready to scrap as it starts drooping off the underside of the bonnet.

Use a credit card to gently scrape off the drooping adhesive and foam remains.

Work on stubborn bits with a rag soaked in white spirit & the card.

Wipe clean.

By now the second panel is ready to go but just before scraping, pretreat the next panel with white spirit to allow it to do its work.

Now start scraping with the card on the 2nd panel.

Continue until all are done.

Using this method is effortless as the adhesive just drops off. The card just helps give if that last little push. Take you about 3 hours, mainly cos of the white spirit soaking time is upto 30 minutes a panel.

Thanks for the replies...I will look into the 3M adhesives not sure which one yet...my bonnet "waffles" are not too bad just needs sticking back...would love to have new "waffles" but the shrick manifold will just wreak it as its a tight fit.