Sign in to follow this  
poll250

Audi S4 4.2L V8 experience?

Thinking about cars that I may replace the Corrado with in the future and after a look on Pistonheads the B6/B7 Audi S4 avants with the 4.2 V8 are now going for "reasonable" money. By the end of the year I'd imagine they would come down further still.

Anyone on here had much experience with them?

I was looking at those before christmas and they are as you say going for reasonable money now considering their spec.

Didnt get close to even driving one though - went for a new bathroom instead :scratch: !!

Next year when they are even cheaper, or when the RS6 comes down a little as well :D

I've completely gone off the idea of having a big engined daily. Last year I bought a Passat V6 Syncro and although only a 2.8 that thing could use fuel!

200 miles to a tank..

I dread to think what you'd get back out of a 4.2 V8, but I can guess it won't be very much!

Personally I'm only going big powered on a weekend toy..

I was looking at those before christmas and they are as you say going for reasonable money now considering their spec.

Didnt get close to even driving one though - went for a new bathroom instead :scratch: !!

Next year when they are even cheaper, or when the RS6 comes down a little as well :D

They are very attractive! No other car has drawn my attention away from the Corrado to be honest, but I was on Youtube last night and listening to that V8 made me want one so badly!

I've heard they are expensive buggers to run though, although I'm used to that with the VR lol.

Yeah a V8 + £6 a gallon and 1600+kg of car to haul around is one costly hobby :D

Stick to simple engineering mate. If you get a wiring fault on a modern Aldi, heaven help you (and your wallet) ! :lol:

I've completely gone off the idea of having a big engined daily. Last year I bought a Passat V6 Syncro and although only a 2.8 that thing could use fuel!

200 miles to a tank..

I dread to think what you'd get back out of a 4.2 V8, but I can guess it won't be very much!

Personally I'm only going big powered on a weekend toy..

Well driving 4 wheels as opposed to 2 is going to have its effect on the mpg also.

Hmm, maybe I'll put that idea on the back burner for a while then. I only get 23mpg out of mine at the moment, but I guess single figures when hooning would soon start to get annoying!

Back to the Stealth Turbo + Racelogic plan it is then! Just wish payday would hurry up lol

B5 V6 bi-turbo or the 4.2 FSi V8 (420 odd hp)?

Nice examples of both on Pistonheads. Neither are cheap though!

I would also suggest thaty 8 pages of RS4s for sale is quite telling really.....

I was looking at the 4.2 V8 S4 a few years back and test drove one for a day. Hated the tip tronic, no where near as good as the DSG on the Golf GTI. A Manual one is fun but the Estate one I drove was huge. Didn't like it and got another S3 instead.