bigbroony

Oil pressure switch on cylinder head.

My oil light started to pulse on and off at the weekend( no buzzer ).I've disconnected the spade connector on top of the oil filter but it still flashes.A quick web surf has brought up the fact that there's a switch on the head that actually governs the flashing/buzzing.Is this correct? If so, whereabouts is it? and what colour wire goes to it?

If this doesn't prove to be the case, I've been down to "my man" who has the requisite gear to actually check the pressure.On talking it over with a friend who has had VW's for years, he reckons that it's a switch problem more often than not.Heres hoping !

Cheers Alan.

2 pressure switches, both need to function or you'll get buzzing/lights

both on top of oil filter housing, if they break then they'll give no current to earth(block) and it will buzz, often they leak oil too ()or they could short to the block.

One is often called the 'low-pressure' switch and the other 'high', but they are actually rated and wired to give a buzz for low oil pressure at idle and 2,500 revs ish, this gives a good indictaion of oil pump and bearing condition.

The values are stamped on them, one is around 0.3 bar the other 1.3 bar depending on year and engine and yes they do seem to be fairly prone to failure.

That's what I was led to believe.But surely if you disconnect the spade connectors, the oil light shouldn't work at all.I was hoping this would be a method for determining which, if any was faulty.Mind you I'm no autoelectrician.

no, that's not the way they work, if they're not earthing at all the buzzer and light will go off (by off I mean ON :) ), fail safe for a broken sensor.

That sounds promising mate.No one likes to have low/no oil pressure.The engine goes well, sounds well and has no nasty smells emanating fron it.I suppose the switches are cheap enough to buy both and be done with.Would the faulty one not show on a plug-in diagnostic? Any idea what the part numbers are please?

Thanks, Alan

There is a God.It turned out that both the switches were "high" pressure.They've been like that while I've had the car.Anyway I fitted the correct bits, fiddled with the spade connectors in a technical fashion and hey presto.................no oil light.It's certainlt lottery win tonight.

Bugger ! Light's come on again.It stutters and flickers so I think it's an electrical fault and not pressure. I know someone with an external gauge so I'll find out one way or the other. It could even be a faulty switch I suppose. Just because they're new doesn't mean they're infallible.

This happened to me as the car was burning oil.. I then smashed on my bottom end and have just fininshed building an ABF into the car.. Just be 100% certain you don't have low oil pressure.. a garage should be able to do a pressure check if you don't have the tool to do it..

Don't find out have low oil pressure when its too late ;)