Sign in to follow this  
jamiehamy

Things things you see on ebay...VR5

It's just strange way to market it! Would be much more appealing split i reckon. Ah well. I've got a spare head but a missing piston puts me off to do a spare engine build.

I intially thought the comedy of this was it being an advert for a VR5 engine, but was actually just a VR6 with a piston missing :lol:

But no.... it's just an advert for a VR6, with erm, a piston missing? :shrug: :lol:

And yeah, aftermarket VR6 forged pistons are cheaper than new replacements from VW! And you don't have to wait 6 months for them either.

It's just strange way to market it! Would be much more appealing split i reckon. Ah well. I've got a spare head but a missing piston puts me off to do a spare engine build.

Ive got a few spare pistons if you wanted one and not too far away from you. One of the big ends went in my first engine knackering one or 2 of the bores, at least 4 of the pistons should be good though.

Hold up, thats a golf engine so will be 2.8, and bidding has stopped. Pistons I have are from a 2.9

Talking of boring out a block, can most workshops do that, or is there a special machine required to take into account the V within one cylinder head?

A guy i use for camber and stuff says most workshops won't be able to deal with the VR block.

Talking of boring out a block, can most workshops do that, or is there a special machine required to take into account the V within one cylinder head?

A guy i use for camber and stuff says most workshops won't be able to deal with the VR block.

Any engine machine shop will be able to do a rebore. When i had mine done the machine shop mounts the engine on a bar using the Main caps to clamp it, same for any engine straight or v. Then they can either rotate the engine the said amount for a v engine, or rotate the cutting tool head. Whichever is easiest.

The only available overside piston rings are made from myrrh and cost £100 each.

:lol:

mmm, 6 piston rings are more than a V6 4 motion engine, what would you do? :)

David, uncalled for. I've gone from seriously considering borrowing dough to get a turbo, but then deciding to go for an R32. Then thoughts I've got enough points, a 2.8 24v will suffice. And now i'm just thinking of actually rebuilding a standard engine (because i've never done that before and would like to try it) and keeping it spare until mine dies.

I don't need to setting me off thinking about 24v's again...lol