jimpy66

LEATHER SEAT RESTORATION

Been desperate to get this done- the leather is overall in good nick for 15 years, but stained, cracked finish letting the car down badly.

stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdf28012011641.jpg[/attachment:1lat7wva]Corrado92.pdf28012011637.jpg[/attachment:1lat7wva]

Bought colour matched stain from 'Gliptons', though Furniture Clinic also do it (Gliptons already had Corrado shade on file)

The most important thing is preparation- no surprises there. You can read the entire process on their websites, but the gist is: Clean, soften, clean, dye.

Just like paint, lots of thin coats are much better than thick ones. To give the matt finish I prefer, I avoid the gloss additive and apply the last coat by dabbing it on with a sponge.

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdf28012011639.jpg[/attachment:1lat7wva]

I prefer not filling the cracks (you can get leather fillers) as long term they just crack again, and there's no way of stopping the leather folding in its own places.

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdf28012011632.jpg[/attachment:1lat7wva]

End result is fantastic really, they don't look 'new' unless you also replace the foam padding, but they do look as if they've been incredibly well cared for.

Problem area is always the drivers bolsters- in this case it's worn away at the edge just a little so although the colour is perfect, you can see some missing stitching and wear on the piping. That would mean a re-stitch- more skill than I've got.

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdf28012011640.jpg[/attachment:1lat7wva]

Gear lever gaiter was horrible- but refurb took all of three hours to come up brand new.

28012011642.jpg[/attachment:1lat7wva]

The process can't be rushed- once you've built up the finish over a couple of days, it needs at least a couple of days to toughen up and I think about a week to fully harden- they say don't use for 24 hours after treatment, but longer is definitely better.

For all the hype, the 'traditional dye' is a water-based resin stain/paint (as far as I can tell) and given the difficulty of getting it off my fingers, it has impressive adhesion qualities!

You can apply it to vinyl in low abrasion areas too, as long as the preparation is thoroughly done.

Next step is leather tunnel courtesy of Badgerman, then contemplating leather dash.

Obsession now taken firm hold................ :)

Fantastic job! Might have inspired me to break out the Gliptone although it sounds like I may need some additional products as well!

I had read on another forum that there are some sort of mild abrasive scotch cleaning pads that give tremendous results on old leather. Not sure whether long-term the abrasive will be a good idea though. Will try and find it if I remember. Edit: Ah, I remember - it was Pat McCrotch and the tip was from the R32 forums so they're not exactly idiots when it comes to cleaning/detailing. It is mostly all they do after all :tongue:

Edit: Ah ha! Took some finding but here you go: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=100090

Oh and moving the thread. Seats tend to be on the inside/interior :)

Great result and write up. I might give this ago when the weather takes a turn for the better. TBH my leather aint that bad but after reading this its certanly inspired me!

Meant to add- the dye is recommended as spray on for best results, but I prefer to rub it on with a cloth- lets you get it right into the worn bits without just smothering everything with a heavy spray- but depends how bad the leather is- probably if the wear is only slight, spray would be best.

I'll make a point of posting photos again after some use to show how it all stands up to long term wear. That's the one thing you can never find anywhere.

I'm also trying the resin dye on spare plastics- I reckon that this would work on a well prepared dash- not everyone's taste, but will be interesting experiment.

Can't remember but I posted a load of pics like this and it shows how they have worn too

What, since the leather restoration? I always think it's fantastic seeing these restorations but just as good seeing how long the results last for.

Just getting started with mine... same colour, same kit!

I'm doing the gear gaitor first... a nice small bit to get started.

How long did you leave between coats of dye? Did you thin the dye or just use it all neat? How many coats did you need roughly?

Edited by tony_ack