Slobbo

Cleaned ISV and now high revving - Help

Hi guys. I have a VR6 2.9 in my Transporter Syncro (out of the Corrado) and have been having problems with VAG-COM reporting the following errors. 00281 vehicle speed sensor G68

00518 Throttle position sensor G69

I have cleaned up the throttle body (black with crud) and the Vehicle speed sensor error has gone but I still had the Throttle Position Sensor error coming back so I stripped out the Idle Stabilisation Valve and cleaned it with carb cleaner. It too was black with crud. When I put it all back together the error is gone (although I haven't run it enough to be sure) BUT the car is now idling up at 1300rpm. When I first started it, it was revving at 2000 rpm. I cleared the codes using VAG-COM and it dropped to the 1300 rpm. Now when I start the van (hot or cold) it instantly jumps up to about 1300 rpm. Any ideas? Could the ISV be goosed? Is there something I need to do after cleaning up the ISV with VAG-COM?

Help?

isn't the TPS a little sensor on the side of the throttle body? Don't know much about the VR intake but I'm sure someone else will chime in soon enough.

vr6 in a t4

thought about doing that with mine

make sure the isv is moving freely. if it was full of shit then possibly something stuck in it

don't worry about speed sensor, always shows when not running.

possibly throttle body need cleaning too ?

Luck dude

Yep sure is. I have bought a new body with the sensor (new sensor is about £60) but came across some info on the net which talks about the ISV causing problems like I have been having hence the strip down of the ISV. It was black so I held high hopes of a fix.

Yeah it is moving freely. I am wondering if the garage have tightened the throttle cable when it was in last (they were messing about up the front) so it is set too high now the valve is clean and working properly (seems remote though). The engine is in a T3 Syncro.

web.jpg?ver=12964152050001

This is my bad boy.

have you tried soaking the ISV in carb cleaner / thinners / petrol overnight or for a long time? that can work wonders if you've just been spraying it through and attacking with a brush.

Yes, 1.8 16v owners know all about the pain associated with bad ISVs!

don't worry about speed sensor, always shows when not running

???? That's code 00513 that shows when stationary!

COM reporting the following errors. 00281 vehicle speed sensor G68

Thats the speedo drive cicuit. Sender on top of the gearbox faulty or the wiring. Speedo dancing about at in the past or been disconnected. If it cleared and stayed clear, forget it and re-check in a months time.

As said the unit on the side of the throttle body. Not cheap £61.52 + VAT. Either open circuit or a short internally. Also check connection at the TPS and associated wiring for internal break due to damage/kink.

Also check the throttle cable isn't binding and it is fully shutting.

don't worry about speed sensor, always shows when not running

???? That's code 00513 that shows when stationary!

COM reporting the following errors. 00281 vehicle speed sensor G68

Thats the speedo drive cicuit. Sender on top of the gearbox faulty or the wiring. Speedo dancing about at in the past or been disconnected. If it cleared and stayed clear, forget it and re-check in a months time.

I haven't got one of these. Don't know how it was done on my setup as it uses the Syncro gearbox rather than the Corrado. Will keep an eye on it. Will it affect fuelling/performance?

As said the unit on the side of the throttle body. Not cheap £61.52 + VAT. Either open circuit or a short internally. Also check connection at the TPS and associated wiring for internal break due to damage/kink.

Got another one coming. Will swap it and see how it goes.

Also check the throttle cable isn't binding and it is fully shutting.

.[/quote:2lzzdar3]

Doesn't the throttle angles just need re-calibration after the work?

Yes, Basic Settings as per second half of the ECU Reset proceedure should be applied.

Well that is what I thought when looking at the instruments on ETKA late last night, think it would think be so.

Just a thought, if the VR6 ECU can't see a speed sender, that would generate a fault, but it should have returned after being cleared. ?????

All the ECU needs to know is the throttle angle at rest is or

As soon as the ECU sees 16 degrees, it comes out the idle maps and loads the driving ones.

Many people tamper with the throttle stops in an attempt to fix idling problems, which is the wrong thing to do. It's why VW 'seal' the screw with yellow resin paint so that they know it's in the right position. If the paint is cracked / missing, they know someone's been 'having a go' and not a vehicle fault.

Stalling at the lights is a common thing on VR6s and very rarely is it idle valve related. The Bosch 0280 140 512 is an extremely reliable valve, used on my cars, Cavaliers, Vectras, Saabs, Volvos, Audis etc etc. It's a petrol engine at the end of the day and if the fuel mixture isn't right coming out of over-run and into idle, it will stall just the same as any other petrol engine in that scenario.

It's usually always the MAF (assuming nothing else has been tampered with / broken), but unfortunately OBD1 does not measure it's output, so it's very difficult to diagnose.

What can help is winding the dashpot out further to catch the throttle quadrant earlier, thereby giving the ECU more time to adapt the fuelling to prevent a stall.

This engine has been in for a good while and has been running well until recently. I have ordered a new ISV and a supposed good throttle body with TPS. I will change the ISV first and see if it makes a difference then the TPS to see if it clears the TPS error. I also have a second hand MAF I can swap if neither of these things work. I will also check to see if the garage have over tightened the mechanical cable as they had to disconnect it to swap my bushes on the front suspension. When I picked up the van the first time they had not put the cable back in correctly and I didn't have any throttle at the top end so I am wondering if they over tightened it with the ISV faulty and now it is clean (and working correctly) the car is over revving at idle. Just a thought does this logic seem correct?

I'm still not sure anything is actually faulty here... I assume you are using the original syncro gearbox with speedo cable - if so that explains the speed sensor fault.

The TPS needs settimngs up - have basic settings been done??

I got the how to for doing the basic settings from the VAG-COM site but it doesn't have instructions for a mechanical cable with an ISV. Only mechanical without an ISV. If it needs resetting how do I do this?

If it needs resetting how do I do this?

Which ECU VW part number have you got fitted?

Can't check till the weekend. It is the ODB1 ECU but couldn't give you the code until I check at the weekend.

Right. Have sort the ISV problem. Ended up with a new ISV and a new Throttle Position Sensor. Made sure all the pipework was leak free and it was running lovely briefly. Took it for a run to St Andrews and ended up with different problem. This time the engine dies when you dip the clutch or pull up at lights. Difficult to start as well without putting your foot on the accelerator.

VagCom is giving me this.

riday,18,February,2011,11:21:48:63310

VCDS Version: Release 10.6.3

Address 01: Engine Labels: 021-906-258.lbl

Control Module Part Number: 021 906 258 AG

Component and/or Version: MOTOR PMC 3

Software Coding: 0261203109

Work Shop Code: 1267357531

VCID: 59B744A2E99F

4 Faults Found:

01265 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve (N18)

31-00 - Open or Short to Ground

00281 - Vehicle Speed Sensor (G68)

27-00 - Implausible Signal

00537 - Lambda (Oxygen Sensor) Regulation

08-10 - Control Limit Surpassed - Intermittent

00758 - Secondary Air Injection System (AIR)

Readiness: N/A

Not concerned about the EGR fault as I don't have an EGR.

Any ideas?

Right the high revving problem is sorted. New ISV and Throttle position sensor along with a good clean and check for leaks and all good.....for a while. Now I am getting problems with stalling when the clutch is dipped or when you pull up at lights etc. It is difficult to start as well.

VagCom output is

riday,18,February,2011,11:21:48:63310

VCDS Version: Release 10.6.3

Address 01: Engine Labels: 021-906-258.lbl

Control Module Part Number: 021 906 258 AG

Component and/or Version: MOTOR PMC 3

Software Coding: 0261203109

Work Shop Code: 1267357531

VCID: 59B744A2E99F

4 Faults Found:

01265 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve (N18)

00281 - Vehicle Speed Sensor (G68)

27-00 - Implausible Signal

00537 - Lambda (Oxygen Sensor) Regulation

08-10 - Control Limit Surpassed - Intermittent

00758 - Secondary Air Injection System (AIR)

Readiness: N/A

Not worried about the EGR error as I don't have an EGR hence the error. Any ideas