jimbobbalooba

Obsolescence - Have your say!

Last year, as some of you may be painfully aware of, VW 'dropped without replacement' hundreds of Corrado parts right across the range. :mad:

This is more of a pain than you may first realise as the few remaining discontinued parts hanging around in dealers will no doubt shoot up in price. Secondly we now have to rely on second hand parts which will also start to creep up in price if they are available at all. I speak of things which may seem irrelevant to some of you but for those who need new looms, door seals, carpets, steering knuckle boots and many other things then this is a real issue.

But there is an alternative; from time to time we see replacement parts pop up here on the forum (such as the nylon window rollers) which have been specially made for a group buy by a forum member. I myself have been sorting out loads of parts for my restoration car and kinda figured that the things I'm having made up may very well be of interest to others.

So, my plan is to get you lot to help me write a list of parts which have been discontinued which I will then source and have made up in batches as and when I have enough orders. Obviously the parts which have more requirement will get priority but essentially this is my way of making sure the Corrado stays on the road and in good condition! I'll eventually put the parts up for sale on my site http://www.corrblimey.com in a store section (which at the moment isn't live) and provide forum members with discount codes to buy cheaper than the general public.

I'd love to know your thoughts and which parts you want the most!! I'll start :study:

Rubber door seals

Interior carpet (not the mats)

Wiring harness - Main engine hardness (ECU)

Formed brake lines (Cut steel lines available on this forum - will paste thread shortly)

Window rollers

Early bonnet foam insulation

abs sensors (Can use golf ones - will put up a part number shortly)

Seat Bolster

Brake Position Sensor

Seat Belts

Rubber door seals

Wiring harness

Formed brake lines

window rollers

early bonnet foam insulation

abs sensors

I have a contact at a CNC manufacturer if that helps...

Rubber door seals

Wiring harness

Formed brake lines

window rollers

early bonnet foam insulation

abs sensors

I have a contact at a CNC manufacturer if that helps...

It all helps... let me know the details and I'll add your bits to the list :D

Thanks

Jim

Wiring harness

Which one? There are dozens of harness sections still available from VW.

Formed brake lines

Volksworld on here has been making replacement lines for people, with genuine VW steel line and fittings.

abs sensors[/b]

They're the same as MK3 Golf, still available.

I think we already have a "what bits do you need" thread started by Pat_McCrotch. He works at a VAG dealer and might have some influential power with the parts people, but you have to bear in mind, we can't blame VW for pulling parts tbh. It's bloody annoying, granted, but they only made 100,000 or so Corrados, compared to millions and millions of Golfs, so availability of parts always was going to be an issue and they only make things if there's demand. Clearly there hasn't been, until now, and now we're all in a sticky place.

I think we need a petition and hit VW with it. But we need to be cool, calm and collected and give them a list of parts people most want and would like to see kept available in the future. They're under no obligation really. I think their policy is a 15 year parts plan, which has expired sadly.

And lastly, try and see this situation as an oppurtunity to improve. What parts from newer VWs will fit? It may be our only way to keep these cars going for the next decade.

Wiring harness

Which one? There are dozens of harness sections still available from VW. - Main engine Harness OBD2 (fits to ECU etc)

Formed brake lines

Volksworld on here has been making replacement lines for people, with genuine VW steel line and fittings. - Brilliant, had no idea!

abs sensors[/b]

They're the same as MK3 Golf, still available.- That one I did know but just need to get peoples input at the moment

I think we already have a "what bits do you need" thread started by Pat_McCrotch. He works at a VAG dealer and might have some influential power with the parts people, but you have to bear in mind, we can't blame VW for pulling parts tbh. It's bloody annoying, granted, but they only made 100,000 or so Corrados, compared to millions and millions of Golfs, so availability of parts always was going to be an issue and they only make things if there's demand. Clearly there hasn't been, until now, and now we're all in a sticky place.

I think we need a petition and hit VW with it. But we need to be cool, calm and collected and give them a list of parts people most want and would like to see kept available in the future. They're under no obligation really. I think their policy is a 15 year parts plan, which has expired sadly.

And lastly, try and see this situation as an oppurtunity to improve. What parts from newer VWs will fit? It may be our only way to keep these cars going for the next decade.

I certainly don't blame VW for stopping the parts, I wasn't trying to start an uprising against them or anything; just merely trying to point out the situation and see what can be done about it. Even if we were to petition VW for the parts to be made, they would cost a fortune so I think we're better off making them up independently and making them better (for example the window rollers).

The problem with a really popular forum is that some information can get lost however much people use the advance search features - people are also inherently lazy and tend to not bother using advanced searches. There are now 697,713 posts on this forum which is amazing - (Andi you should be very proud) - this can be quite daunting though.

With a decent list of parts that need to be remade, improved, used from other models etc and a place from which to get hold of them, we can reduce the pain of rado ownership... well a bit anyway :D

Great to get feedback, keep it coming!!

Thanks

Jim

Assuming you mean OBD1 Corrado VR6 and not OBD2 (MK3 Golf) , the main engine harness is sold in 2 halves:-

ECU harness - Obsolete (I bought the last one :D )

Injector harness - Still available - £200ish +VAT

Brake lines we've got covered :D You can even buy pre-terminated lengths (poper VAG steel, not the nasty copper stuff) which you can bend yourself. Saves you the cost of an expensive flaring tool.

ABS sensors are fine for now but the pedal positions sensor is obsolete. I bet it won't be long before the rear biasing valve goes obsolete too.

There has been a lot of discussion on this recently and rest assured, we won't let VW beat us. We will not be forced into buying one of their mass produced boxes. We like our Corrados thanks very much!

This is a cracking idea!!!! I hate visiting the stealer, having him great me nicely then look at me like skum when i say Corrado :lol:

Seat bolsters was an annoying part to discontinue :mad2:

As Kev as mentioned above the brake position sensor is now obsolete. This will need looking into unless someone knows of a way of fixing the original broken part or using a part from another vehicle as a replacement. I had my ABS scanned on VAGCOM and that indicated a problem with the BPS its intermitent at the moment but what happens when it totally gives up the ghost? My car would be randered useless beacause of a 120 pound obsolete part. I can understand some parts being made obsolete but this is a critical part for MOT purposes and the proper function of the braking system.

brake pedal position sensor think igot one of the last three if i had known i would have brought all three

As Kev as mentioned above the brake position sensor is now obsolete. This will need looking into unless someone knows of a way of fixing the original broken part or using a part from another vehicle as a replacement. I had my ABS scanned on VAGCOM and that indicated a problem with the BPS its intermitent at the moment but what happens when it totally gives up the ghost? My car would be randered useless beacause of a 120 pound obsolete part. I can understand some parts being made obsolete but this is a critical part for MOT purposes and the proper function of the braking system.

D&G Autotech can fix the one you have on the car, or send it to them and they will fix and send back

http://www.dgautotech.com/dgauto/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=52&Itemid=81

D&G Autotech can fix the one you have on the car, or send it to them and they will fix and send back

http://www.dgautotech.com/dgauto/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=52&Itemid=81

cool

by Jon_vr6 » 03.02.2011, 17:45

WigsVR6 wrote:

http://www.dgautotech.com/dgauto/index. ... &Itemid=81

Thanks Jon at least its an option :D

This is a cracking idea!!!! I hate visiting the stealer, having him great me nicely then look at me like skum when i say Corrado :lol:

Seat bolsters was an annoying part to discontinue :mad2:

Seat bolsters added...

Cheers :)

Jim

Rather than paying DG Autotech £50 to fix the pedal sensor, simply pop it out yourself and dismantle it. You will more than likely find it's just a dry solder joint, as Vince at Stealth discovered.

What happens when the wear out completely and are beyond repair? Then we're stuck! Corrado Seatbelts are obosolete aswell, so a number of critical parts are now being removed off the system.

One solution with the ABS, although admittely not the easiest, is to retrofit the 96 on MK3 VR6 system, which doesn't use a pedal sensor or a rear bias valve. It's a much simpler and smaller system.

Rather than paying DG Autotech £50 to fix the pedal sensor, simply pop it out yourself and dismantle it. You will more than likely find it's just a dry solder joint, as Vince at Stealth discovered.

What happens when the wear out completely and are beyond repair? Then we're stuck! Corrado Seatbelts are obosolete aswell, so a number of critical parts are now being removed off the system.

One solution with the ABS, although admittely not the easiest, is to retrofit the 96 on MK3 VR6 system, which doesn't use a pedal sensor or a rear bias valve. It's a much simpler and smaller system.

All good points and as part of this thread we can start putting some more effort into the wiki again. Seems to have been neglected since the move and it's a valuable place to store the 'how to's'. I did my entire front brake upgrade using it!!

Seatbelts onto the list and I'll check ETKA for suitable alternatives.

Cheers

Jim

Yeah as you say, there are nearly 700,000 posts on here and I reckon 698,000 of those posts are duplicated info :lol:

It would be nice to go through them all and collate the data pertinent to this topic in one place, but it's huge, thankless task!

All good points and as part of this thread we can start putting some more effort into the wiki again....

wiki, what wiki :(

All good points and as part of this thread we can start putting some more effort into the wiki again....

wiki, what wiki :(

Oh yeah, just checked out our link http://campaigns.mindtouch.com/wikis-decomissioned.html and it's not being hosted any more. I'll speak to Andi and see if he wants me to sort out another one and transfer the data across.

Jim

How about ABS mastercylinders ?

obsolete,but still available if you buy it with the servo for mega bucks

Yeah that's typical VW. I've noticed a fair amount of this kind of thing on ETKA. Seatbelts are the same; obsolete individual parts but you can buy the whole unit. I'll bung it on the list and see if any other models took the same one.

Jim