Sign in to follow this  
Pat_McCrotch

It is worth wasting money on 280mil standard brakes?

Just thinking of my next concern on the car which is the brakes. The rears are way past there best and will probably be replaced with MK4 calipers in the next few months, but the front calipers are in good nick, don't stick, are nice and progressive and don't suffer from the long pedal travel you get on the 288's like I had on my old VR6.

So, putting cost aside. Do you think it's worth spending money on grooved/drilled discs, uprated pads and braided front hoses or would it be less hassle to go to 288's anyway? Biggest two benefits I can see to keeping the 280's over 288's are weight and the pedal travel. But if the 280's will be useless after only minor punishment on a track then theres no point keeping them.

Anyone got any experience of using uprated discs in 280's?

I wouldnt bother with grooved discs. Standard discs and harsher pads are an improvement with braided lines.

Matt

I guess it depends totally on driving style mate, i have (obviously) :lol: replaced all mine several times with gen VAG items and i actually find them adequate, but i am aware how much better 288's are as my friend has them on his VR Corrado so was quite impressed.

But i think new brakes make a big difference anyway so if you are happy with the 280's feel then stick with em.

No - not in my opinion. I upgraded to 288mm and at least the Corrado stops now. I didn't know much about weight difference but just wanted to be safer.

It's only an 8V but I found standard, refurbished 280mm (don't forget the 8V originally only had 256's) brakes fitted with genuine VW discs and pads and braided hoses to be very good on 5 hard laps of the Nurburgring in 2009. No fade and plenty of pedal feel when bled properly.

However I fitted 288's to my VR when I had that and I found them to be 100 times better than the old, worn out standard 280mm brakes.

I personally think 288's are worth the money but if you're willing to spend a little on a refurb then the 280's can be good too.

Don't suppose that's helped at all :lol:

Tom

I've got 288's on VR but pedal feel lousy. Anyone report on difference using alternative pads? As others have written, the stopping power is v good, but the initial bite is awful. It really stands out when you have to hit the brakes unexpectedly and find that there is a long time between thinking 'brake', hitting the pedal and anything really happening. My other cars would stop dead much quicker.

My 2.0 16v has got goodridge hoses, and even with new vag pads & discs and a brake fluid change, the brakes don't feel a patch on the 288's on the VR. I wouldn't waste your money - just get 288's sorted out mate.

Yeah I already told him to not to waste money on the 280s. Driving mine and his side by side, the 288s are loads better.

Even a simple brake fluid change can really improve the pedal with 288s.