jimpy66

Boot lock operation?

All of a sudden, my boot doesn't unlock with the button. Normally it works with the central locking and press the button it should open. I thought maybe I'd left the button in the 'wrong' position, but whether I leave it horizontal or vertical, neither allows me to open it. I have to insert the key, turn it clockwise as far as it goes and push, then it opens. Without this, it just doesn't work. Any clues??

This happened to me a while back and I just wanted to say there is defo a fix........unfortunatley I cannot remember for the life of me what my mechanic did.

Sorry, someone should have an answer for you though !!

Horizontal it works with the central locking, vertical is always locked and north east 45 deg is unlock from the key. Sounds to me like there's an issue with the vacuum pipe from the central locking

You need to look at the rod from the central locking actuator - it can come loose at either end but usually it's where it meets the boot lock - there is a plastic piece that wears, pennies from VW

I had the same problem a little while ago and it was the rod from the central locking actuator, exactly as supercharged has described. I replaced it with a spare one that I had on my donor VR6 but once I had it apart I could see how easy it would be to change the small plastic item that wears.

Went to check it out and found that it's recovered- working ok but with a louder 'click' than before- still need to open it up and investigate but got distracted by fitting new ultrabright led's to dash switches........