VRTrickster

Snapped Exhaust Stud, Advice Needed

After wondering whether my lambda sensor running problem was down to an exhaust blow freaking the sensor out, I started looking for leaks. I think its actually the downpipe that is leaking. The other day I thought I'd check the manifold for tightness and I snapped one of the studs off to the manifold flange!

I know I could probably remove it quite easily if I removed the manifold, but am worried I could maybe snap more and I cant be without the car. I'm swapping the downpipe at the weekend but was wondering as the mani is not leaking could I just leave it till a later date when I say, fit a six branch?

Also I did buy some new studs of ebay but I'm now thinking I should of got some VW ones. Reason being there isn't any shank on them to stop them going any further into the head. Am I worrying about nothing? Or is it best to fit orignal ones?

Edited by VRTrickster

pretty sure the VW studs only go a certain distance (up to shank) into thehead anyways, so those ones should be fine. Are they the correct pitch? did the ad say they would fit a VR head?

VAG onesmight be a good idea if you're unsure as you know they will be spot on. 2p.

It said they fit VW Golf gti 8v 16v vr6 1.8t. What I meant, do the standard ones bottom out into the head, or does the shank stop it leaving a gap? Not that it would probably matter anyway, as long as you don't over tighten and crack something!

My main thing I was concerned about is not taking the mani off this weekend and doing it at a later date. Is the exhaust mani going to leak soon or be fine?

Thanks for the response anyway mate.

Edited by VRTrickster

the shank is just there so that there is no thread going through the manifold section if that makes sense, so the manifold sits on a smooth section instead of a threaded one.

I'm not sure if the shank stops it from going further in. I would doubt it though. It's not like VAG to design something that didn't fit very well to start with. I mean, why would they leave a gap behind the stud in the head? it would just be a massive heat spot.

To know whether the mani will leak soon, we need to know which stud you snapped. If it's an end one, then it may start to blow. If it's an inner one, then it is less likely.

Seems I have subscribed to this thread just by posting an answer. Retarded.

Yeah the shank sets the insertion depth to ensures all the nuts and washers have enough thread.

I would only use VW studs, washers and copper nuts.

If you're swapping the manifold at a later date anyway, you may aswell leave it for now, providing the blow isn't too horrendous.

Right ok, I'll probably get VW studs when I decide to take the mani off. Its not leaking at all at the moment so I'm just hoping it stays like that for a while. This is the stud I've snapped. I'm thinking as its got a nut either side of it, that it my be ok? Its not as though I've loosened any nuts so I shouldn't think it would move much, but I know it could expand with heat maybe?