Dr Forinor

Diesel tuning

For those of you who don't know, I recently got myself a 2006 Skoda Fabia 1.4 TDi as a family runaround. Now as standard it has 80bhp and 144lb/ft, obviously I wanna increase that & with it being a diesel I'm considering just a chip and that should be enough.

Looking around google and this company seems to be a lot cheaper than any other website and cheaper than what I would have expected aswell. Anyone have any experience or know anyone who does? Would you say go for it or go for the sites asking around the £300 mark?

TDI-Tuning

Edited by Dr Forinor

LOL....I love the irony of people buying small engined run arounds for economy, and then feel the need to chip them up for more power :) Why not, erm, just buy a 2.0 TDI car to begin with? :)

I remember seeing the tail end an Audi A2 dyno day at Stealth once, whilst up there doing some stuff and the later 1.4s were knocking about around 100hp and 200lbft, which isn't bad for a little 1400!

Is the car in Aberdeen? If it is theres is a guy on Eastsidevw username VR6T (Dave Manson) who can remap the cars for you. He is friends with Vince which is where he gets his base maps from I think. He knows his stuff so it isnt any half arsed generic remaps.

kevhaywire: I did consider a bigger sized engine but up here where I am right now a suitable car wasnt turning up in the search within my price range (plus there were a few other factors that lead me to going for this car rather than holding out for something else) :p

Not only will I get more power, but better fuel economy too so I'm hoping in the long run it'll still be better than a 1.9/2.0 TDI engined car as an all rounder

Just had a look on eBay and that company has a lot of great feedback so I'm thinking they might be ok.

coullstar: Will PM him there, thanks for info!

Edited by Dr Forinor

Try http://www.tuning-diesels.com or their sister company www. energytuning.co.uk, I've got boxes on both my 1.9 A4 's, the wifes PD(130) engined avant averages 48 mpg around the doors and over 58 on a motorway run and now drives better than my mates (170), my older 1997 A4 avant (110) gives about 3 to 4 mpg better and goes like stink (not bad for 175,000 on the clock ).

kevhaywire: I did consider a bigger sized engine but up here where I am right now a suitable car wasnt turning up in the search within my price range (plus there were a few other factors that lead me to going for this car rather than holding out for something else) :p

Not only will I get more power, but better fuel economy too so I'm hoping in the long run it'll still be better than a 1.9/2.0 TDI engined car as an all rounder

Just had a look on eBay and that company has a lot of great feedback so I'm thinking they might be ok.

coullstar: Will PM him there, thanks for info!

Heh heh- I've got a Vauxhall 1.9 diesel and I lifted it from 150 to 200Ps. Yes, I wanted more economy too......:onfire: ha ha ha ha ha ha

Well I am going with coullstar's recommendation of speaking to that guy. I spoke to him and have decided to get it done from him, the fact he works closely with Vince obviously works in his favour.

He said that he should be able to get it up from 80power/144torque to 100power/200torque, which is a healthy increase, and will definitely help with the economy and that should be me happy. And it wont be generic!

Even as it stands it's fair nippy and I get decent MPG, I'm just a lil greedy (who isnt?). Plus £30 road tax per year, I cant stop telling that to people especially when you consider I'm saving on fuel costs aswell AND its a proper comfy car, not slow either, a perfect all rounder!

I fitted a TDI tuning box to a mate's car last week. I think he's taking it off and sending it back.

I also spoke to someone who knows a bit about tuning over the weekend, and as I suspected, it's just a pot which fiddles with the fuel temp sensor reading, making the ecu add more fuel in.

I'm very sceptical if this increases your fuel economy in real life. I know the MFA says it's better but I think that's probably because it's confused by the lower reading.

I ignore the mfa on my cars and go by filling the car to the brim each , noting down the mileage and working it out from there , in my case the better mpg is real and NOt imaginary

Only just seen this thread - did you get the remap done?

I have an 04 Fabia VRS and recently had this remapped by Angel Tuning - (I think they are countrywide). Upped power from 130 standard to about 170 and torque to around 290. It is monstrous in the mid-range - but (as warned by Angel) - I do get some clutch slip if I floor it on the motorway in 5th or 6th - most of the time - it is not a problem.

MPG wise - it is about the same as before the map - driving like a vicar on a 100 mile trip the other day, I managed just under 65 mpg - couldn't go any faster anyway really coz of traffic - so it can still be really economical if I don't rag it. Even without holding back - it will do mid-fifties on the same run.

Take a look at the Briskoda website - lots of useful stuff on there.

Cheers

Yeh I got the remap done, definitely improved but obviously wasn't expecting a whole lot. Its funny how a VRs isnt much less economical than a 1.4 TDi ...

Well I am going with coullstar's recommendation of speaking to that guy. I spoke to him and have decided to get it done from him, the fact he works closely with Vince obviously works in his favour.

He said that he should be able to get it up from 80power/144torque to 100power/200torque, which is a healthy increase, and will definitely help with the economy and that should be me happy. And it wont be generic!

Even as it stands it's fair nippy and I get decent MPG, I'm just a lil greedy (who isnt?). Plus £30 road tax per year, I cant stop telling that to people especially when you consider I'm saving on fuel costs aswell AND its a proper comfy car, not slow either, a perfect all rounder!

Good man, Dave knows his stuff.

I fitted a TDI tuning box to a mate's car last week. I think he's taking it off and sending it back.

I also spoke to someone who knows a bit about tuning over the weekend, and as I suspected, it's just a pot which fiddles with the fuel temp sensor reading, making the ecu add more fuel in.

I'm very sceptical if this increases your fuel economy in real life. I know the MFA says it's better but I think that's probably because it's confused by the lower reading.

from what i gathered, they adjust the fuel pressure regulater readings to make the ecu believe there is less fuel than there actually is. wont do the engine any harm though, people have done it with diesel engines for donkeys years, just smoke there tits off when you nail it.

I ignore the mfa on my cars and go by filling the car to the brim each , noting down the mileage and working it out from there , in my case the better mpg is real and NOt imaginary

guess you dont like bikers then.