Tedb

2.0l 16v wont start after installing New Air Flow Meter

Cant get her to start after installing a new Air Flow Meter, checked all connections and vacum hoses and lifted the flap of the meter a few times to prime it, only got a drop of fuel out after a got few pushes. Had the Fuel Metering head off to install new Air Flow Meter but didn't do anything with that, just gave the Plunger a gentle clean. Car fires for a second and then cuts out. Disconnected the fuel lines at the Metering head to check for fuel and there seems to be fuel at all the connections. Disconnected and reconnected the ECU but that didn't make any difference either. Haven't got VAGcom I'm afraid so cant make any checks there.

Any ideas?

Thanks Guys

Hmm - well either disturbed something or plugged in the wrong way??

Could also be co-incidental ignition switch failure... have you checked fuses too?

The Ignition Switch I replaced a couple of weeks ago, haven't checked the fuses, is there a fuse for the Fuel system?

Have checked all connections again but everything appears in order

Cheers

You say you have fitted a new airflow meter, was this new or a used part? Was this the airflow plate only or did it include the metering head? If you have fitted just the airflow plate assembly and transfered your metering head onto it, then you will need to set the critical clearance of the airflow plate roller bearing, onto which the metering head plunger sits, with relavance to the airflow plate deck height, at which point the metering head makes contact. If this measurement is incorrect the basic fuel CO setting will be too far out to allow start up. Off the top of my head, it's been a while since I had to set up one of these but I think the clearance is 21mm.

Thanks very much John for responding, yes it is a new Air Flow Meter, I understand it has to be recalibrated, they dont tell you this in the shop though when you are buying the part, do they........I found some information like what you described in the Passat Haynes Manual, someone sent me a picture, so I think I know what to do now, it says to use a Depth Guage (Yeah, like I'd have one in my press!!) but I am just going to use a ruler to measure to the face of the metering body. Assuming I do get it started it was suggested to me I would need to adjust the idle (presumably up near the throttle somewhere) and the timing. Will these not self adjust themselves?. Also do you know if the 16V 2.0l Corrado has K-Jet, or KE Motronic or a mutation of the two?? Looks like KE Motronic on mine cause it's got Knock Sensors and the like..

Thanks for the advice

It is a ke-jet.

Once you have it started i'd go to DG or the like to have it properly setup. Those metering heads are fussy madams.

Ok so progress being made, I bet you can start to sense a little relief! Using a ruler will be difficult to set up the depth measurement accurately, given that there is a nominal tolerance of less than 0.5mm!! You could use a cheap vernier calliper, which would not be a wasted investment as they are extremely handy measuring tool. Don't overlook the fact that the height measurement is taken from the point at which the metering head seats upon the airflow plate. This point is often the alloy lugs cast into the surface of the airflow plate.

This adjustment is only a start up setting, the CO% will need to be adjusted by way of an exhaust emissions analyser. The timing should be ok, unless this has been tampered with. The idle speed will need a little attention throughout the dynamic set up process. Not sure where you are in the country but I would be able to sort this for you or indeed any suitably equipped garage could do the same. But either way the actual dynamic set up process is a garage task, unless you have very diverse tooling as a hands on owner / maintainer? If you require further guidance, am happy to help.

Thanks very much John for all that information, very kind of you to offer your assistance, unfortunately I live in Ireland but yes if I get her started I will bring her to a garage to be set up correctly. A couple of things, I used a draughtmans Ruler to check the old one last night, it's made of steel is 6 inches long and a 1/2 inch wide and is finely calibrated so I would guess it is fairly accurate, however I do have a Calipers as well. Interestingly the measurement I got was 21mm.......from the Roller bearing surface to the top of the Hole, it would be 22 or 23 mm to the point where the metering head meets the Plate and yes I understand that is where the measurment is taken from, however I notice the Haynes Passat Manual chapter on Fuel inj. for K Jet indicates the distance should be between 18.7 and 18.9mm.....so which is correct I wonder? The timing was set last when the Head Gasket was replaced which is approx. a month ago so would it need to me done again?

Many Thanks

Latest update is that after another few frustrating hours it still wont start.......I removed the metering distributor again, checked the Plunger also checked the depth from the roller bearing in the air flow meter to the mating face of the fuel distributor but couldn't really check this accurately, it's suppossed to be 19mm approx, someone else suggested 21mm, tried turning the CO adjustment screw anti clockwise and clockwise but it didn't make any difference, tried very small adjustments first but made no difference. I'm wondering has it something to do with the ECU? Haven't disconnected/reconnected it since I removed the Metering Distributor last week, maybe I should try again. I suspect there is not fuel going to the injectors because I removed a Plug and it wasn't wet with Petrol which I thought it might be with all the turining of the Adjustment screw. All connections are in order, vacum tubes ok etc. Starts for a split 1/2 sec. or so then cuts out.

Any ideas?

Getting P'd off now as I had to hire a car for the week to get to work and dont want to be without it another week...

Cheers