VR6Pete

Best DOT 4 Brake Fluid

Hi All.

fitting new lines at the weekend, and giving the brake system a good flush... any idea what's the best DOT 4 brake fluid to go for? (Im assuming DOT4 is still the best type of fluid to go with having ABS etc...)?

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=dot+4+brake+fluid&_sacat=See-All-Categories

depends how much punishment you're planning to give it i guess, but DOT5.1 is ok to use too and has a ~40deg higher boiling point if you're planning any track stuff. couldnt say which brands are better than each other though. i suspect its one of those things where new vs old is potentially more important than brand vs brand.

Ahhh - not tracking it in the short term.... just on the roads, although I have fitted 288's + braided hoses so as and when etc... I've just bought a litre of stuff from VWSpares.co.uk - will that be enough to flush through all the old crap and fill the system up? the old stuff I've drained out so far is almost black!

Thanks.

Pete

Dealer stuff is good - nice yellow colour so easy to see the level...

Black is a worry though - this is either very old (over 5 years) or your brake hoses are starting to fall apart from the inside - be very wary of these and if unsure of age then change them - should be done every 7 years or so.

I just replaced all of my fluid with DOT 5.1 when I had the front callipers refurbed. I probably used about 1 litre to flush it all through, mine was pretty dirty looking when it came out.

I'd definately go for 5.1 for the higher temperature characteristics even it you are not going to get the brakes that hot, you might as well use the best stuff.

incidentally, dont use Dot 5 as this is incompatible with the seals in the brake system. Very important! Make sure its 5.1

I think its very old to be honest. A number of brake lines have already been replaced, and ive replaced 3 since I've owned it, the car hasnt had any TLC in years and i've found myself doing every sh**y job a corrado has to throw at ya :)

I think I'll just stick to the DOT 4 as I've already bought it now - did see the thread about not using DOT5 though... I'll be only using the car for weekends anyway and it will be a long before I pluck up the courage to drive it keenly having driven a punto 1.2 for the last 2 years + :(

Any old schitt will do mate, it's all the same stuff. Don't believe any dog dung marketing where brake fluid is concerned. So long as it's not some kind of Shampoo and sugared water mix they use in Borneo, you'll be fine.

It really does amaze me the things people skimp on. Brakes and tyres. People will spend a grand on blingy wheels and schitty coilovers, but never change brake fluid and fit cheap arse ditch finders. I despair, I really do!

Well done you sir, for doing the right stuff :)

You know me Kev, start from the bottom up! If you dont do these simple jobs to begin with, it'll bite you in the ass at some point down the road.... but I do have bling wheels and coilovers, however, I am still doing all the little jobs before its on the road :)