Sign in to follow this  
Kevin Bacon

Coolant - G11 to G12?

I read somewhere online lastnight about switching from G11 coolant to G12 which allegedley makes the engine run cooler. They tried it on a VR6, which needs all the cooling help it can get, but has anyone tried it because I hear G12 is for alloy/alloy engines whereas G11 is for iron/alloy engines?

Cheers

Kev

94 VR6

Kev,

Think it's a standard change 'cos they don't make G11 anymore. However, you have to flush your system thoroughly before changing because they gel up if mixed. I've swapped to G12, and it seems to work pretty much the same as the G11 used to.

I've changed the coolant on mine.

I flushed the system through with Rad Flush and cold water.

Then refilled with G12+.

G12+ was created because of the issues with mixing G11 and ordinary G12. G12+ CAN be mixed with G11 without gelling.

Available from you're friendly neighbourhood VW Stealer.

See my previous thread:

http://corrado.atx-hosting.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=646

The upshot of this was, you need 3 x litres of G12+ and about 3 litres of distilled water to refill the coolant system 8)

Good Luck!

Thanks you knowledgeable gurus! So G12+ is the way to go then?. It's red isn't it?

The corrado faqs and tips site did report an appreciable drop in temperature on the VR6, so it's worth a shot. I'm also getting an oil cooler fitted by stealth at the end of the month, so we'll see how the two mods work out.

I'm aiming to reduce oil temp in the VR6 from 112-114 @ 85mph to 98-100. This will put less strain on the oil, thereby increasing it's ability to soak up heat and therefore make the oil thicker, ultimately leading to reduced oil consumption and longer engine life.....so the theory goes at least!!

Cheers

Kev

one other thing that might help you get some more cooling is to check to see if you have the original grille.....as the ones from GPC have all the slats open whereas the original one only has the bottom row open..........but i reckon just your oil cooler alone would make quite a noticable difference......why don't you do the coolant a short while before or after you've had the oil-cooler done,at least then you'll be able to see if it does make a difference

Yep, that was what I was planny to do mate. I'll post the results of the coolant alone drop and then with the oil cooler.

I have the original grille on mine and I opened up the other two slats up with the dremel's mini-circular saw attachment! I enjoyed that :p This was before I knew about GPC's grille! Is the GPC one a genuine part?

I've got so much on the 'to do list' and so little time. I bought the inpro lights nearly two weeks ago and still haven't fitted them yet! Mind you, that's cause they're in the workshop (aka utility room!) being modified. I have done the Lupo wipers though but only cause it's a 10 minute job! Should get round to the G12+ changeover this weekend hopefully.

Cheers

Kev

I have the original grille on mine and I opened up the other two slats up with the dremel's mini-circular saw attachment! I enjoyed that :p This was before I knew about GPC's grille! Is the GPC one a genuine part?

Cheers

Kev

yeah mate the GPC grille is o/e....only £23+vat+p&p or £23 straight at inters :wink: ........don't know why there are 2 types of the later "vr6"grille though :?