Sign in to follow this  
Gaz154

rotor arm

pull it......you can use a screwdriver and gently get leverage to lift it.........it should come right off after a little pressure.

just be careful of what you pry against.

Yeah I did try to post about this last nite, but my internet connection broke.

As Nigel says, Volkswagen actually glue the old rotor arms on - and the only way to get them off is to physically break them off using something like a hefty pair of molegrips. Obviously you want to be careful to not damage the distributor itself, but you need to use molegrips to just crack the old rotor arm and break it off. Then clear up any remaining plastic fragments and stick your new one on - no need to glue it back on!

I know, as I had to do this on my last Rado :)

mine fell off when the mechanic had a look at it. "theres ya problem" (no sh*t :roll: )

Yeah they use the same urethane glue they bond windscreens with, so it won't leave any residue on the distributor shaft.

Interestingly the new rotor arm doesn't come with glue. I've never glued my 16V ones on and they've never fallen off, so I wouldn't worry about it tbh. I think it was just a precaution due to the horizontal mounting of the dizzy and the high rev-range - in the case of the 16V.

K

Did mine about 10 months back and had to break it into pieces.......right pain in the bum!!!

Put the new one on without glue and had no problems since.

cheers guys when my car wouldn't start one morning a garage diagnosed a dead dizzy i managed to get a replacement on ebay for £20 but i took it to bits the other night and the rotor arm and dizzy cap look pretty much knacked all black and pitted contacts so i'm going to change them over and bung it back in and see if i can get it working again cos he said at the time to get it repaired/refurbished would set me back big bucks so hopefully i'll have a spare