harryc

New rear discs and bearings

Hi all

Im a little confused, im trying to replace the rear brakes with new callipers discs and bearings. I have the old stuff off and have the new disc and bearings but it seems the bearing housing needs to be extracted from the old disc along with the abs ring, how is this done? Do I take my hammer to it?

I think you are getting a little confused? The old rear discs complete with the old rear bearings contained within are to be disposed of. The rear ABS rings can be carefully extracted from the old discs, but beware they are very easily distorted, and are then useless. It is better practice to renew these ABS rings also with the replacement discs. The new wheel bearing kits need to be pressed into the rear disc which have cast in bearing housings as part of their design. I hope this gives you a little more clarity.

The new bearing races can be tapped in carefully with a hammer, using the respective old race as a drift. No press required.

Or if you don't want to mess around removing the old race then a 36mm impact socket from halfords is just the right size :)

I think you are getting a little confused? The old rear discs complete with the old rear bearings contained within are to be disposed of. The rear ABS rings can be carefully extracted from the old discs, but beware they are very easily distorted, and are then useless. It is better practice to renew these ABS rings also with the replacement discs. The new wheel bearing kits need to be pressed into the rear disc which have cast in bearing housings as part of their design. I hope this gives you a little more clarity.

The new rear discs i have, have no cast in bearing housings in their design thats why i ask!! ;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320652320303&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

The section that hoeses the abs ring and bearings is not on the new discs so im guessing i need the centre housing from the old discs?

Yes looking at the picture again they are rears but the later type ones used on mark v golfs which don't carry the bearing within the disc.

The picture may not be of the actual ones you have bought, if you are unsure check with the seller.

Edited by mr.ots

I ve got the discs, they are as pictured. I ll see if he will refund me, am i right in saying they are wrongly listed?

They are definitely the wrong discs. As mr.ots has said they are intended for the later VW's with the integral hub/bearing, such as the MkIV Golf, MkV Polo etc. They will not fit your Corrado so you have been sold the wrong discs. The ones you need should look like this:

Discs

Cheers

Tom

Emailed the guy and he replied straight away saying it was his fault he wrongly listed them and he'll give me a full refund, thanks for the help guys. :)

You will probably find they are from GSF - they will probably swap them for you to the correct ones if you've got a branch near by - they are so used to doing this after supplying the wrong stuff they won't bat an eyelid

Haha, no got these from ebay froma guy called nb-808, should he be covering the cost of me returning them as well as they're heavy and i dont fancy forking out a tenner for postage?

Can anyone recommend me some nice rear discs and pads? Im aware rear braking is minimal but i want something that wont rust in a year and looks nice, perhaps grooved and or dimpled, are they all pretty much the same quality?

check with your local GSF or ECP, the brembo disks I've had from them recently come with a painted anti-corrosion coating which holds up very well, but not every disc comes like this, some are old stock and have no coating, I swapped ABS rings from my old disks to new non-abs disks (disks are the same) as only the non-abs ones (just come without rings) on the shelf had the coating.

No I meant originally they will have most likely have been from GSF being Zimmerman - was just suggesting you could take them back and swap over, maybe less hassle

Can anyone recommend me some nice rear discs and pads? Im aware rear braking is minimal but i want something that wont rust in a year and looks nice, perhaps grooved and or dimpled, are they all pretty much the same quality?

Brembo discs are pretty good but I don't think they do grooved or drilled for the rears. Just steer clear of the cheap GSF ones as they will rust in no time.

As for pads I use EBC Green Stuff but Pagid also come highly recommended.

Thanks for the advice people. Just bought a set of brembo rear discs from the bay, can only see green stuff fronts on ebay though.

Thanks for the advice people. Just bought a set of brembo rear discs from the bay, can only see green stuff fronts on ebay though.

GSF do the EBC Green Stuff for the rears