quicky1980

Carbon/Glass Fibre Boots

Thanks Mike, I will confirm my order for a full carbon item tommorrow. And place a 50% deposit as requested. I would like to also state

my interest in a carbon plinth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Am I missing something ?? Group buy is made to cut the price a little bit. Web page price for a full carbon is 670 quid and group buy price is exactly same ??

I assume your question is pure conjecture, as I don't see your name listed as a buyer? Indeed you are "missing something".The purpose behind the group buy in this case is to make it possible to generate this product. The cost of production to manufacture a high quality two part mould is extensive, and for a manufacturer a minimum quantity order is required to have any kind of economic viability. Mike has to secure a minimum of 10 unit orders to ensure that viability. Without this initial order there quite simply would not be a product to buy. I for one am extremely grateful that companies like Performance Trim will entertain short run unit production. The price being charged for a full carbon tailgate I find very reasonable, especially knowing the high standard of Performance Trim's work. Furthermore the the fibreglass version is exceptionally good value. The purpose of a group buy is not allways to reduce the purchase price, especially when that price is acceptably competative. As is illustrated in this case, it can be also to encourage a manufacturer to generate new product tailored to specific needs. High end bespoke composite bodywork is never going to be a cheap option, but through the medium of group buy purchase it is at least made an option.

I do kind of see EMU's point, we would be putting down a large down payment and arranging for this activity to go forward. Why would we be paying the same costs that any one in the future (once tooling etc is setup) can then get one without the long wait and effort that we are needing to go through?

Thanks Mike for your reply. I have just done some digging and the US versions of the boots in CF etc dont appear to fit very well on the cars ie they don't sit flush, need allot of fettling. Are you confident that the versions you can make will be as if I was to order a metal equivelent ie dimensionally accurate? In addition, if the group buy falls through, will deposits be refunded?

For those of you listed on page 1, please post up which spec boots you want and Ill put them against your names. ie carbon, standard or fibreglass. From that we can see if we hit the targets that Mike has set. I WILL be PM'ing you all as a friendly reminder.

I'll be going for a Fibre glass version, no wiper hole, working spoiler mechanism. Will send deposit soon after I have my questions answered either on here or by phone conversation.

If anyone else wishes to be part of the group by, drop a post.

Edited by quicky1980

i will be spraying my boot/bonnet so not bothered about carbon fibre if the fibreglass one is strong? is fibreglass up to the job and can it be painted to the same colour of my car easily?

I wish i could but too many other things going out at the moment, i really really hope these get made so i have a chance of getting one in the future :(

ETA: if this is still ongoing in a month or so i may be able to join for a fibreglass boot (wouldn't mind a fixed spoiler either)

Edited by BadMeatPies

What are the weight differences to the original?

I guess the price will be for a bare tailgate, what are most people's plans for glass or a perspex type material?

put me down for a fibreglass boot please, cant afford carbon :(

i take it that the boot will look standard and the spolier, window and plinth fits well... also, can i spray the fibreglass with no bad effects?

put me down for a fibreglass boot please, cant afford carbon :(

i take it that the boot will look standard and the spolier, window and plinth fits well... also, can i spray the fibreglass with no bad effects?

I can't comment on your questions. But Ill put them to Mike when I speak to him.

With regards to the rear glass, I'm toying with the idea of plexi glass.

i am bit wary of it all to be honest, i would like to see one ideally first to me sure its up to my OCD standard... which i know wont be obviously possible

Thhis should help http://www.performance-trim.com/product.php?product_id=105

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46138[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]46139[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46136[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]46137[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]46140[/ATTACH]

They also do mk1 golf and fiesta boots, have a look around their website.

If the fiesta boys can get a group buy together, surely we can?? :shrug:

you would of thought so i suppose, they are a good price as well i think, i just dont have enough funds for everything as it is, wiithout full carbon boots :lol:

it's not a complete down payment, just 50%. the rest will be paid in a few months when the parts start to be produced, this should make it a little more comfortable for you and others (inc me) to cope with. I'm in the middle of buying a house, my head says no to the boot, but realistically if we don't get this going soon, it will never happen and we will all miss out.

Just think about all that rust and weight you will avoid! And as a bonus, the CF looks great!!

---------- Post added at 04:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:22 PM ----------

it's not a complete down payment, just 50%. the rest will be paid in a few months when the parts start to be produced, this should make it a little more comfortable for you and others (inc me) to cope with. I'm in the middle of buying a house, my head says no to the boot, but realistically if we don't get this going soon, it will never happen and we will all miss out.

Just think about all that rust and weight you will avoid! And as a bonus, the CF looks great!!

I'm in the middle of buying a house, my head says no to the boot

tell me about it! got my 1st month old kid, house, VRT... money is tight :lol:

If you go for plexiglass instead of glass, won't you need some sort of heater to stop condensation on the rear screen? I think that's an MOT requirement for the front screen, but may also apply to the rear.

If you go for plexiglass instead of glass, won't you need some sort of heater to stop condensation on the rear screen? I think that's an MOT requirement for the front screen, but may also apply to the rear.

I wouldnt think its an MOT requirement, some mk2's came without a heated element on the rear. In additionm, the rears and rear sides are considered to be obligitary hence why vans cdont need glass windows. I was thinking of plexi glass as Im hoping to keep my car for summer and weekend use only (if I end up getting a house soon), otherwise I will be using a glass version.

Are you participating in the group buy boost monkey or just lending your penny's?

I've sent Mike at Performance trim a message to answer some of the new questions. I shall be putting a deposit down on pay day just after my Birthday as I think this can be classed as a present. Just not sure which to go for yet.

Ok guys having done a fair amount of business with Mike at Performance Trim I feel suitably qualified to offer reassurance to those who have any concerns over how this product will turn out. I have presently a full carbon bonnet, rear spoiler, and roof. Twice I have now placed my faith in Mike by ordering blind, as we all are with the boot, on both the roof and rear spoiler. On both of these products I was very pleased with the quality and the attention to detail shown by Mike. The panel fit was superb and was a faithfull carbon reproduction of each item. I in common with all of you have financial commitments, and need to spend my hard earnt wisely. I however,have no hesitation what so ever in trusting in Mike, and to that end have placed my 50% deposit. I also believe that oportunities like this do not get offered readily. It would be a crying shame to loose out on this option for the sake of unfounded doubt or a lack of positive action. The debate here is not about how to glaze the boot, that can be an individuals choice after the boot itself is a reality. It matters not wether you fit glass or plastic, the panel will accept either.

But please guys let's get the item made first. For those who would question the MOT angle, don't worry it's not an issue, I am an MOT qualified tester and it does not contravene any MOT ruling. Let's keep the focus on the prime issue, and seize this oportunity to aquire a top quality bespoke component from a reputable manufacture.

i will go with your judgements. But i cant stretch to the full carbon im afraid. As long as i can spray the fibreglass version with no worries so it looks standard im in...

i will get the heated glass put in, have the spolier and mech on, but no window wiper hole... The only problem now is the number plate recess, impossible to get off without breaking

This process is like pulling teeth! Thanks to those of you who have indicated your choice. Could the remaining folks who signed up on this thread please indicate their preference. Please do be aware that we require at least four of you to want a carbon option, be it full gloss or standard finish, in order for this group buy to work. We then require deposits to be placed to secure production. Do not panic about the full cost payment,as this will be due much later into production, all that is required for now is 50%.

ok, can I ask why you preffer to keep the standard one?

Right that takes us back down to 9! I really thought this was going to be a winner but seems not :sad:

I spoke to Mike and he has clarified a few issues...

They will fit exactly the same as steel. The parts may be 1-2mm thicker, but that can be accounted for when bolting/adjusting the hinges and catch. As long as everyone appreciates that these are not steel panels made in wolfsburg, but carbon panels made in west-sussex, everyone should be very happy with fit and finish.

We need a group-buy to total around £4500 to make it viable, so potentially that could be 7 fully carbon bootlids or 16 fully fibreglass, but usually a mixture of both.

Deposits can be returned if production doesn't go ahead, but not if production goes through and people change their minds. Deposits can be 'topped up' at the stage when parts are being made, if someone wants to upgrade to carbon or fully carbon.

'standard carbon' is carbon outer and fibreglass inner. We call it 'standard' because that's what 99% of other bonnet manufacturers sell. 'fully carbon' is the premium version with carbon inner and outer.

Come on guys, put your names and requirements down and lets get this moving!

well the weight saving on the bonnet is 10kg. I would guesse that the boots can save more

I can't see that on the tailgate frame alone, I stripped a tailgate and removed the glass, from what I remember the metal alone was actually pretty light, it's just a frame unlike the (longer and wider) bonnet with it's cross strengthening. The glass on the other hand is pretty thick and heavy, I still have that in the garage at home.

Don't forget the standard tailgate has two electric motors, the spoiler and mech, wiper mech and arm, lock and catch mech, tons of wiring, number plate plinth and a bunch of inner trim pieces as well as a whacking great peice of glass, oh, and a fistfull of nuts and bolts holding everything inside together.

davidwort can you confirm the weight of the boot without the glass? Carbon according to looking online is roughly 25% the weight of steel. The steel bonnet is 18kg (without underbonnet foam) and roughly 7kg in Carbon/Fibreglass setup, this results in about 26%* so that seems to match the numbers found online (note* fibreglass is slightly heavier, a complete fibreglass bonnet is roughly 8kgs, just 1kg heavier).

If you (or anyone else) confirm the weight of the rear boot without glass and mechanisms, this will give us an indication of weight saving if it were to be made from CF. Agreed the glass is a heavy part of the boot, but with it out I would be surprised if the boot actually weighed less than the bonnet in either material.

To take full advantage with weight saving, plexi glass, no wiper and fixed bracket spoiler, no wiring is the way to go. (plate plinth is negligible, possibly a saving of .5kg if CF)

There are additional benefits though besides the weight, such as aesthetics and corrosion resistant.

You interested then?