Sign in to follow this  
DEL VR6

BETTER FOG LIGHTS / WHITE LIGHT?

has anyone uprated or fitted front foglights other than standard?

I find they are a bit yellow and dull especially now that i have got an uprated loom and the clearer whiter "ice blue" bulbs.

has anyone uprated or fitted front foglights other than standard?

I find they are a bit yellow and dull especially now that i have got an uprated loom and the clearer whiter "ice blue" bulbs.

I find now that I've uprated my headlight loom it's difficult to tell if the fogs are on or not just by looking at the road when the dipped beam's on...

You can get 30% brighter Xenon type bulbs for the fogs (can't remember if they're H1 or H3) from halfords - I'd give them a go first before thinking about a loom upgrade...... ;-)

IIRC the fogs are H3 bulbs and they could do with a loom and some better bulbs.....but if you use them all the time like i did, your lenses will crack. its a flaw (another one) with the corrado!!

im wondering if my loom still isnt giving me enough light to my diped beam?? i can see on the road when i turn my fogs on and off. i used the 'ring' loom and bosch super blue bulbs. stormseeker, you messed around with your looms a bit, did you end up using the ring stuff for the dipped??

Well Gavin, I would probably have one off you, although i dont like the idea of the lenses cracking with too much usage, mine are bad enough already :roll:

While on the subject of looms Gavin.... I find that the first click of the headlight switch (dipped beam i think!) it looks very dim and hardly any brightness at all. Its only when i click it to the 2nd click (the main beam??) that I get the proper nice bright light. Is this how its supposed to be? The difference is huge between the 2 settings.

(Someones gonna say that they are supposed to be different and thats y there are 2 settings, but i just thought the difference is really quite big) Still well pleased with the loom and the improvement.

has anyone seen these lights that look about the size and shape of golf balls? i think they have a name like "elyptical" or something like that. :roll:

yeah, first click is the side lights...and is really dull and orange (well untill you fit a set of LED's like mine then you get a blueish white light, but its still not a high light output)

the second click is your diped beam, then when you pull the indicator stalk back, thats high beam!

the side lights aren't really used for much apart from your parking light (when you turn engine off and push indicator stalk to the left or right position)

Del, previously with the dim dip resistor connected, the lights would get brighter when goiing onto the second click. With the loom fitted and the resistor disconnected, you would only get the sidelights on the first click. These are 5 watts and only 10% of the standard H4s.

Gavin

im wondering if my loom still isnt giving me enough light to my diped beam?? i can see on the road when i turn my fogs on and off. i used the 'ring' loom and bosch super blue bulbs. stormseeker, you messed around with your looms a bit, did you end up using the ring stuff for the dipped??

That's quite normal :-) You can see the fog pattern, 'cos they throw the light wide & low, to illuminate the edges of the road. It's just that now with an uprated loom on the headlights, the difference isn't as noticeable but it's still there... ;-)

I ended up with the "Ring" wiring for the dipped beam, but a different relay (with in built fuse holder) and I made my own loom for Main Beam, and earth for both main & dipped.

Just checked too - both the fog lamp bulbs and the main beam centres are H3... ;-)

yeah, first click is the side lights...and is really dull and orange (well untill you fit a set of LED's like mine then you get a blueish white light, but its still not a high light output)

the second click is your diped beam, then when you pull the indicator stalk back, thats high beam!

the side lights aren't really used for much apart from your parking light (when you turn engine off and push indicator stalk to the left or right position)

Thankyou! now i can at least talk about my headlights and use the correct terms! 8) Everydays a school day!

Del, previously with the dim dip resistor connected, the lights would get brighter when goiing onto the second click. With the loom fitted and the resistor disconnected, you would only get the sidelights on the first click. These are 5 watts and only 10% of the standard H4s.

H100VW, so your saying when you have your diped beam on, your side lights are not on??? :?

has anyone seen these lights that look about the size and shape of golf balls? i think they have a name like "elyptical" or something like that. :roll:

Do you mean BMW's Ellipsoid lights? They're going back quite a few years now so maybe you meant something else?

K

H100VW, so your saying when you have your diped beam on, your side lights are not on??? :?

1st click = sidelights

2nd click = sidelights + dipped beam

( just to confuse things further - If Dim Dip is fitted & working then with the ignition on 1st click gives you sidelights + half brightness dipped beam - designed of some sort of "safety" feature that meant you couldn't drive the car on sidelights alone)

No mate, it's like Stormseeker says. It was a poor attempt to prevent the clowns who drive in the dead of night. with just their sidelights on. Not that it worked.

If you don't disconnect the resistor with one of my looms, then you would never truely see the sidelights on their own. A potential problem come MOT time.

Gavin

Kevhaywire wrote:

Do you mean BMW's Ellipsoid lights? They're going back quite a few years now so maybe you meant something else?

I think thats the ones. I have seen them fitted in the big bumpers of a few MkII Gti's in place of the normal fogs

They look like a little glass dome about the size of a golf ball. wondered if any C owners have much experience of them with their Corrado?

(quote thing was quoting everything in sight, so had to do it this way!)

Ah right yeah I get you. Yep they're ellipsoid lamps off an E30 BMW on the MK2 Golf conversions. To be honest they're no brighter than normal MK2 lights with a loom upgrade!

Corrados tend to get square E36 BMW lamp sets or some people have done Audi A4 clusters too.