sleeper16

vr cutting out when cold

hi, when i first start the vr6 on my way out of town if i go above 3k 4k revs it cuts out and then is a pain to start turns over fine but doesnt catch, sounds as if its flooded or something. it is funny how it catches after a turn or two of nothing it will catch on one n then after a turn or two on one it will catch on two etc untill it catches on about 4 and then starts and runs really rough for a few minuets.

i know reving it that high when not warmed up is not good and i dont usually untill i found it does that. vag com brings nothing up so any clues as to what to look out for?

cheers

hi, when i first start the vr6 on my way out of town if i go above 3k 4k revs it cuts out and then is a pain to start turns over fine but doesnt catch, sounds as if its flooded or something. it is funny how it catches after a turn or two of nothing it will catch on one n then after a turn or two on one it will catch on two etc untill it catches on about 4 and then starts and runs really rough for a few minuets.

i know reving it that high when not warmed up is not good and i dont usually untill i found it does that. vag com brings nothing up so any clues as to what to look out for?

cheers

Still got a carbon can and a standard airbox fitted?

If not it messes up the idle and MAF readings and cause the behaviour you describe.

yup standard airbox and im pretty sure i caught a glimps or the carbon cannister when realigning bumper. will double check and make sure itts all connected up properly, just been out to move it and it ran at really low revs like 500 idle was almost cutting out. it has blue ignitor leads and brand new coilpack if thats any help

Also check/clean the ISV and make sure all the accomanying pipework is clear & connected properly. Sometimes the sponge from the ISV damper box can get sucked into one of the pipes creating symptoms exactly like yours.

ok had a look and from the isc to the inlet manifold there was a 90 degree bend coupler that had insulation tape wraped around to make it a snug fit in the pipeworks some of the insulation tape had gone across the oppening so this could of been the issue.

But i cant see any isv damper box? pipe to isv comes direct from the inlet elbow(between airbox and throttle body) and form isv it goes direct to the 90 coupler and then directly to the inlet.

cheers

check ecu relay 109 - replace if necessary, its only about a tenner from the dealer.

smashing cheers guys, just gave it a go there (problem is still there) could be relay as i heard a clicking noise. its a strange problem as engine doesnt cut out to start with but has no throttle and then the engine stalls then its the few mins to start it.

will look at the relay see if i have one about that i can try changing over

cheers