fla

using pre-outs

Perhaps a basic question - i've been running a Kenwood KVT 729 in my car for a while, but the HU doesnt do the front 6.5 speakers any justice wrt depth of sound and lack of bass. There are preouts on the HU 'brain' for the front and rear speakers, and subwoofer if required. These have the RCA jacks. How should these be wired in to the front door speakers - is it just a question of linking this to my amp and then the amp to the door speakers? Or does the separate brain portion actually act as an amp hence another one is not required?

Do you then need to do anything with the black loom connector with the black & grey wires, ie do these then need to be disconnected?

I have the install manual as a pdf but you can download this easily. If someone can have a look at it and advise it would be much appreciated.

thanks Stuart. So presumably these then go to the amp, the amp and the door speakers are then wired to the amp. What about the existing wiring for the speakers? Do i disconnect them?

what i done was disconnect all original wiring( leaving intact if i ever wanted to put back to standard) and run new wires straight from speakers to amp.

the only thing is i have my Parrot connected to the front speakers, so for calls it cuts the stereo and goes to phone. How should i consider this in the setup?

the only thing is i have my Parrot connected to the front speakers, so for calls it cuts the stereo and goes to phone. How should i consider this in the setup?

How is the parrot connected to your front speakers? Sorry dont know jack about parrots but pm me about the rest if u like.

Your headunit should have an option to turn off the internal amp btw. If not pm me lol as above.

You would imagine if the parrot was hooked up to the stereo directly it would just work with the pre-outs too.

Once there is no current drawn from the normal high output speaker wires the internal amp should switch off by itself.

How is the parrot connected to your front speakers? Sorry dont know jack about parrots but pm me about the rest if u like.

Your headunit should have an option to turn off the internal amp btw. If not pm me lol as above.

its just plugged in to the other port on the HU loom.

@pumbaa, i've have a look through the manual to see how this is done.

Abdul, are you visiting Wembley any time soon?

a seperate amp is just replacing the amp in your head-unit Hasan so nothing change if you start using an external one, you just connect the new amp to the pre-out sockets and move the speaker wires from the head-unit to the amp. your parrot is connected to the head-unit and mutes the music signal when a call comes in, the fact that a different amp is amping the signal doesnt stop it doing that in just the same way.

I guess if you have an amp already (for a sub?) then you just need a set of phono leads and maybe some longer speaker cables depending where your amp is located vs your head-unit?

careful about routing pre-amp/phono cables, if you run them close to, and in parallel with any other power cables you can pick up interference, if you mount an amp in the boot make sure the pre-amp cables run on the opposite side of the centre tunnel to the existing cables. Crossing other cables is OK, just not running next to.

Centre tunnel! Doh! That would have been so much easier than running them down either side of the car! Im an idiot!

i see. thanks for the info chaps. Another thing - is there a way to feed cables into the boot from the centre tunnel that doesnt put them at risk of being cut when the back seats are lifted and put back - the locating slot is pretty knife-like against cables!

bit of duct tape to keep them in position, the abs cables run under the seat foam there anyway, should be fine.

hate to say it but having the parrot will complicate things a bit.

problem is the parrot has a built in amp which relays the sound directly to the speakers (interupt mute they call it) not using an aux input via phono (direct input)

.....so if all your speakers run off the amp the parrot wont be able to send sound to your speakers

but what you can do is reconnect the standard wiring loom up behind stereo and only connect the front two speakers wires as well as the wires from the amp to the front speakers........

what will happen is when you use the parrot it will mute the stereo stopping the amp powering all the speakers and then let the parrot relay the sound directly to the front speakers via original wiring but still using its own amp.....

hope this helps, let me know if this sounds like jibberish its quite hard to explain easier to do...........

you can tell i'm crap at all of this stuff, lol. Stuart i kind of see where you're coming from - so you mean keep the wiring as is and then run the wires from the amp to the front speakers? Would these go through the tweeters at the front or direct to the door speakers?

Perhaps it would be simpler to connect a separate sub instead? I was thinking of getting a small bass tube, but ideally i would just like to amp up the fronts rather than cram the boot with a sub.

Edited by fla

H why don't u pop down to mine some time? You can collect the wax too while your at it lol.

Not sure you can run the parrot and amp output to the speakers together. Surely when the amp is running and not the parrot the amp will be feeding a current to the output of the parrot's amp, and vice verca? Would this not blow the stand alone amp or the parrots amp?