deanjames

Starting Issue VR6 ( Now with video)

Hi Guys wondering if you can help, Before people start i have tried search

- Cleaned ISV

- New fuel filter

- New Blue temp sensor

- New battery

Been having this issue for a month now.

When i start the car it cranks to start, goes to start then cuts out, second attempts does the same, third attempt i do the same and it backfires (very loud pop from exhaust)

Sometimes it starts second go if i put my foot down on the accelerator, why is this?

I noticed that if it starts and i turn it off, then start it up straight after it starts fine. But when left for over 5-10 mins wont start on the first turn of the key without help from the accelerator

Could the issue lay with the fuel pump, reason why i think this is that over the 3 turns its building up pressure then finally starts and runs fine, turn it off and still has pressure left then over the 5-10 mins pressure is lost being the reason it wont start.??

Any help appreciated

Edited by deanjames
VIDEO

Could be the pump, I would try a new FP relay first though and ECU relay

What year is it? - also wondering about the factory imob...

Edited by Supercharged

Immob all seems okay,

After a few turns, it starts fine just have to put my foot down and rev it a bit. It will start il turn it off then back on and it will start fine, but when left wont.

Recently had it on VAG com and no faults.

Its M reg.

What numbers are these relays? ( goes to do search)

Thanks for the reply.

Cool thanks for the reply il deffo replace it,

---------- Post added at 12:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:59 AM ----------

Cool thanks for the reply i will definatly change it.

Worth cleaning the immobiliser plug. Remove the undertray, follow the reader coil wire (black) from the ignition to the little black immobiliser module. Unplug the little black plug & spray with WD40. Plug/unplug/spray several times. Worth doing anyway, even if it's not the prob, as it will cause probs eventually.

Classic immobilser connector micro-corroded as above - wd40 my friend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkrU0tKz_xI

Hi guys heres a video? Any idea,

-Changed fuel pump relay

- ECU relay

- Cleaned isv

- New temp sensor

- New battery

Next

- Ignition switch

- Starter Motor

-Fuel Pump

any idea guys this is really annoying as you can see if i put my foot down after a few cranks it starts, i also noticed if i leave the key in the 2nd turn position it starts a bit better

Noticed the fuel pump has a really high pitched sound how, do i tell if its going?

Edited by deanjames

So the WD40 trick on the immobilser didn't work?

Edited by RW1

That video is exactly what I get if mine plays up with the key immobilser connection inside the dash.

RH1 where can i find this wire, baring in mind im not the most mechanical person ever :(

Just got her looking lovley and this happens

205760_10150149313479426_512644425_6604019_3613412_n1.jpg

On page 1 .....

Worth cleaning the immobiliser plug. Remove the undertray, follow the reader coil wire (black) from the ignition to the little black immobiliser module. Unplug the little black plug & spray with WD40. Plug/unplug/spray several times. Worth doing anyway, even if it's not the prob, as it will cause probs eventually.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46321[/ATTACH]

The immobilser box sits on the bottom lip area of the dash inside. Has two connections. As CazzaVR states, follow the shiney black wire off the steering column into the box. Connection is 3 pin one nearest the steering column.

I'm going to wager that this isn't the immobiliser problem. Just doesn't sound right. In my (admittedly limited) experience the car will always start and run for a second or two before cutting out and is generally VERY consistent / persistent.. just trying to start the car a few times won't normally get you round it!

Do you find that it smells of fuel? It does seem like it's either short of fuel, or got too much fuel.. thinking it might be something like a leaking injector? What happens if you leave the car for a week or so?

Cars smells very Fuely imo, leave it for a week or so and it takes a few turns to start will cut out il try 4-5 times it will backfire then il try again with my

Foot down and will start. When it's run for a bit , il switch it off keep the key in position 2 for a few seconds and Itl fire up turning on from position one it stalls, fuel pump is making a high pitched sound, with the smell of fuel won't it smell very Fuely of it don't start first time.

Next I'm going to check the fuel pressure / immob

are you getting a cosistent spark - you can check by just pulling ne lead and holding it near the head as the engine is turning. Not to insult your intelligence, but are you sure you fitted the fuel filter the right way around?

dab36194.jpg

So checked the ignition lead, wd40ed it still made no difference looked worn though so will get a replacement tommorow.

What would happen if this was not attached and not working? Also check the fuel pump making a really high pitched noise.

Tested the fuel pump and it giving about 3.5 bar of pressure and does not drop at all so not the pump.

VAG COM threw up the code 17978 Engine start blocked by immobilizer.

Have checked my spare key still the same.

I think the issue is different to the starting immobilizer issue. As i removed the immobilizer plug it would start then after 1 sec cut out - Obviously because the immobilizer is kicking in.

Plugged it back in and same again the car wont even start, put my foot on the GAS and it starts, its like it needs that extra lil push.

It seems to me that the car seems like it is not getting enough fuel to start, because sometimes on the key and the starter is clicking away for it to start and nothings there.

Would a faulty set of spark plugs cause this - Were replaced with genuine items about a year ago.

Would a faulty set of HT leads cause this as not sure when they were replaced.

The issue seems intermittent once its started and up-to temp its fine, sometimes it will start and then other cut out.

I may have missed it, but might be worth replacing fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail? Whilst the pump may make 3.5 bar, this might all just be leaking back down the return.

It's easy enough to replace ad about £40 i think? Immob thing seems probable too, but the inconsistency doesn't seem right.