Jules

To sell or break :-(

The time has come for me to seriously think of either selling my Corrado or breaking it.

I dont want to do either but I had a baby recently, and I bought another car so that it was a bit easier to get the baby in and out.

The Corrado is now sitting off the road and I don't see me putting it back on the road as the finances won't allow it once I start part time hours at work.

There is nothing wrong with the car at all. It starts first time every time, and in the 13 years I've had it, it has let me down three times...one of those times being a flat battery which is nothing.

I don't think I could see someone else drive the car as I know I'd want it back lol. So my only option it seems is to break it.

The question is what would give me the most money? Can someone who has already stripped their car and sold the parts give me a rough idea what I'd get?

It is a 1991 16v with 120K.

Also to go are RH ZW1's if I can bring myself to sell them too lol.

I've been trying to make a decision for weeks and still can't do it! Every time I look at the car I get a lump in my throat at the thought of parting with it lol :-(

In 17 years time, a voice will say 'Dad, remember the pictures of that old car you had? I wish you'd kept it for me'... :p

If my dad had had something like a Corrado and sold it because of me, I know (now), I'd of wished he hadn't, or at least replaced it with something that would have kept his motoring credibility! lol

I actually think now is the best time to have old cool cars, in +-5years time, it'll be so expensive and prohibitively regulated, I'm making the most of it!

Once it's gone, it's gone and you'll probably not go back to that type of car again until you're too old..

tough call. they dont fetch alot of money at the mo, so breaking maybe a better option.

not sure youd get alot engine wise, so would need to be in good condition otherwise. mods are mostly what you get half decent money for or just bits and bobs to fix other cars.

plus depends how youd feel pulling apart a reliable example of a corrado. just have to sit down and think it through, it is hard work breaking a car too, dont be suckered into thinking its dead simple!!!

You're planning to break a perfectly good Corrado because you have no use for it any more, and you don't want someone else to enjoy it??

You're planning to break a perfectly good Corrado because you have no use for it any more, and you don't want someone else to enjoy it??

i imagine its half that, half about the money thats causing the problem of which road to go down.

running a sprog/house/cars on one income isnt easy. especially now with cost of living soaring.

I have broken a late 2.0 16v with 100k on the clock that someone had traded on the scrappage scheme. I got around £1800 out of it which I doubt I could have got for it in one piece and I still have the engine and gearbox.

Now this might look like I am pro breaking but thats not entirely true. It was a sh*t load of work and it sounds like you've got other demands on your time. It probably took 7 months to shift most of the stuff and it is surprising how much space a dismantled Corrado takes up! You can always say to people collection only but if you ship, parts will go quicker - adding continual packaging and shipping hassles into the mix.

My Corrado nearly got chopped up recently after somebody smashed into it while parked over night. Breaking it would have been financially motivated so I totally understand the money angle. Try and take seeing someone else in your car out of the equation tho - its not a good reason to break a car, see a new owner as someone that is continuing your wagons legacy!

Thats my 2p - breaking might look like financial sense but heres some math . .. . . . .breaking = profit - (time x hassle). And apparently time is money so maybe it isn't as attractive as it might seem.

I'd say keep the C & get rid of the other. I've got 2 kids & had no probs getting them in & out of the C since they born. It's a lot more practical than expected. I could fit the pushchairs & other stuff in as well as some shopping no probs. As Jamiehamy says it's a car you'll regret selling (even if they are a pain in the arse).

Since my T4 with rear seats died, I've been using the C for family duties. A 3 year old and a 5 week old baby fit fine with no issues. Even managed to fit a full size pram in the boot after a bit of taking it apart and last weekend we all went to Essex for the weekend. It was brilliant and loved the use. Now done 1500 miles in the last 3 weeks. I see no reason to make these cars even rarer. Sell as is for someone else to enjoy or keep it, thats the options really. Breaking one can take months of grafting to make it worthwhile, not something to go into lightly.

Hope you make the right choice for your circumstances mate.

Think you summed it up in the sentence where you said there was "absolutely nothing wrong with it", dont see any reason to break a perfectly good car. Even if it meant you could make more cash on breaking it. Let someone else enjoy it! :D

I agree with matt, ive also had a full size PRAM not buggy, in the back of the corrado, fit fine. Albeit had to take the wheels off, but that took 2 mins. Again, breaking it will take lots of time and effort up, which im sure you'll be short of once the baby arrives. :D

I would say advertise it see how it goes before you jump in to breaking,lots of time and effort involved in that.

Get it on Scottishvag and see how it goes.

A pram fits into the back of the Corrado no problem, though there's more space in the missus' MK2. Both are 3 door, and to be honest unless we're all in the same car, the little one goes on the front seat anyway. Even when she needs to go on the back seat it's fairly straight forward.

I broke my old MK2 after it was written off. I had to hire a lockup to do it, and it took me 3 weeks in total, spending about 10 hours a week on it. Breaking was pretty straight forward, and I sold the engine, gearbox, running gear and exhaust with the remains of the shell as a GTI conversion donor to make the last bit easier (and to make room for my new MK2 project)

Made about £1200 in total from the parts I've sold, but the problem is that nearly a year later, I still have a bedroom full of parts in the house that I can't even give away.

I would probably break another write-off, but only because weighing up the effort from breaking versus the cost of repair (and write-off devaluation) make it worthwhile.

Seeing what Corrado's are selling for lately, breaking was as seriously tempting option for me too! I think if one is too far gone for restoration or a complete MOT failure, then ok, but to break a perfectly good one? I didn't have the heart for it (nor to dispose of a shell and the junk no one wants) so have decided to sell mine in one piece;)

Greg

Hi Guys, thanks for all your replies.

I got some serious thinking to do. Some of you made some valid points and I agree with most of them lol.

I know it sounds crazy to break a perfectly good car, but to see someone buy it and let it go downhill would be a sad thing to see too. I guess if I was selling it to someone who would appreciate it they way I have it might not be so difficult to let it go.

I'm actually the Mummy and not the Daddy lol.

I've also thought about just keeping the car so that maybe at some point in the future I could put it back on the road, but my husband has a mk2 gold and a Jetta. I now have an Audi A4, so it makes no sense to have 4 cars!

What I found a struggle about getting the baby carrier in and out the back is the height of the roof. It leaves very little room to get the carrier into the base and I mostly had to sit in the back seat and lift the carrier at an angle which is not very easy especially as she is getting heavier.

I took all my sounds out of the boot so getting the pram in and out was no problem at all.

I did think about the time involved too in breaking the car and at the moment my time is limited which would make it difficult.

It's more than just a car though, its the memories, places I've been to in it and car shows etc etc that all add up to it being so difficult to let it go. It's part of the family.

It's still sitting in its spot in the drive at the moment and I guess that I'll try keep it there as long as finances allow

We bought our Corrado as a replacement for an A4!, we found that the Corrado offered everyone(littl'un included!) a lot more room, agreed getting the car seat in and out can be a sod at times(especially as littl'un loves going in the front), Plus its sooooo much cooler than an audi. Don't break break it if its a good'un, if you can't afford to run it, put it on stands and throw a cover over it if you've got room to keep it and just forget about it.

Tom

Got no chance of that happening. He'd probably get rid of me first lol

proper bloke :lol: