luke w

No dash lights or numberplate lights

I lost my dash lights a while ago. Replaced the fuse which had blown and it was fine. They went again after a while, replaced the blown fuse but now the fuse will last literally a minute before it blows again. Is there anything obvious I should be looking for or any easy tests to rule out what the problem is before I take to a garage to check it out?

have you had any dash bits out? Putting back together sometimes causes the wires to get trapped or caught. Not sure what else otherwise, maybe someone will come along with a better suggestion

If it blows instantly then it's a dead short - dash lights are usually reliable so I would suspect the issue to be at the back.

Take the panel off and unplug the numberplate light loom - test a fuse... if it's ok then turn on the dash lights, if still ok then you know it's at the back.

I'd have a good look at the wiring back there - you may find it's shorting on the body, may not have been put back correctly after a spoiler / wiper motor change.

Cheers for the suggestions, will have a look into it at the weekend. Haven't touch the dash so will focus on the rear first (although I haven't touched that either).

Is that the strip of metal that has the bulb holders on? It didn't look in too good a shape when I looked before.

try having a check on where the wiring goes between the tailgate and the shell, i know its a common fault on alot of cars where the constant flexing breaks the wires

It might be one of the connections on the number plate light come unsoldered ,and earthing out !52848b6d-c39e-9d6f.jpg

You can see what I mean,pic is a new one,but soldering leaves a lot to be desired !

As Supercharged said,about £12