nsk1

Front and Rear FACTORY part upgrade!!!!

hey guys! i have a feeling my brakes will need an overhaul within the rear so i plan to upgrade. i would like to stay with factory parts simply for cost and for a factory look..... i like keeping my cars clean.

i've read about running 312mm brakes on corrado's but these seem to be sliding calipers. i would like to run 2 piston factory calipers. i'm new here and i'm realizing that you can swap parts on these cars all day. i'm looking for a definite answer on where to find the right calipers and how to bolt them up.

would i need to convert to a 5 lug?

this isn't talked about much but can the rear brakes be upgraded also?

PICTURES ARE MORE THAN WELCOME!!!!! let me see what you're running.

There is a thread on 280mm rear brakes somewhere on here, can't help you with the front im afraid i've gone up to 280mm which is the largest i can get in 4 stud to fit under my rims.

The girling 60 (not from a g60 car, confusing i know) is a twin piston setup. I Believe the audi 5 cylinder used them.

The twin piston Audi s2 calipers are still sliding calipers. I don't know of any factory vw calipers that are not sliding with 2 pistons. You need to think about 4piston calipers for fixed calipers

i'm starting to see that the to get what i want i need to go with golf r32 calipers or aftermarket..... i figure the golf's would be more expensive than going aftermarket. i guess my next step is just upsizing rotors and calipers a little bit. i read the girling 60's are a good upgrade but i keep reading things like needing machine work. that kind of work isn't the most accessible through reputable shops around me. what options does that leave me with?

the r32 calipers may be twin pot, but they are also sliding calipers - the two pistons are on the same side!

the only way you're going to get non-sliding calipers is to go for something along the lines of brembos or APs.

you can do a 323mm brembo conversion from a leon cura-r (5-stud), or a 303mm (i think) conversion from an ibiza cupra (4-stud)

i was misinformed on the caliper types. sorry about that. i'll do some more research. i think (could be wrong) that there's a 280mm, 288mm, and 312mm size rotors that people tend to use. whatever calipers go with them, i don't know but the calipers for the 288 and 312's are the same. as long as they can bolt on then that's fine with me. don't really care about the type..... pretty much just want to go bigger now.

BTW- a front caliper locked up last night so my brakes need to addressed now. time to pull out the bike lol

the VR brakes are 280mm as standard.

the easiest upgrades you can do are the 288mm and 312mm. these use exactly the same calipers just with different carriers (obviously depending on which size you go for).

the best ones to go for are probably the 288mm. it doesn't sound like much of an upgrade over the stock size, but it's not the diameter that makes the difference, it's the swept area of the pad on the disc; the old 280mm pads cover a much smaller area than the newer items that go with the 288mm and 312mm upgrades.

the only things you'll need to get hold of when doing the upgrade are the calipers and carriers (obviously!), new flexi hoses, discs and pads and you'll also need some washers (about 4-6mm iirc per carrier bolt - of which there are 4) in order to space out the carriers to get the correct clearance on the discs.

you can rob everything from a mk4 - the only things you'll need are the washers.

obviously it's recommendedthat you get hold of new discs and pads and don't use second hand items if you're taking off a car in a breakers.

the reason i would go for the 288mm option is because you can retain the original 15" wheels, if you go for the 312mm option then you'll have to run at least 16" wheels, probably 17"s - can't remember off hand the smallest size possible. also the benefit of the 312's over the 288's isn't that noticable afaik.

if you're planning on running big power in future then that's the time to start thinking about brembos etc.

not sure if the wiki works on this new site, but there used to be a helpful guide that even had part numbers for the 312mm conversion, the only different bits between the two conversions and the carriers, flexi-hoses and discs, the rest is all the same.

If you use mk4 parts then your new wheels will need to be 5x100. Some people have had 5x100 discs redrilled to 4x100 so they can keep their original wheels but this can be expensive.

The mk4 rear calipers are a direct replacement for your rear calipers. You just need to get the mk4 brake hoses aswell. If you do go 5x100 then you also need the mk4 rear discs. The advantage of the mk4 rear calipers is that they're made from aluminium and don't seize like the Corrado ones.

Because you are getting new wheels anyway it will probably be cheaper for you to do the 5-stud conversion while upgrading the brakes.

Paddy

i was planning on going to 5 lug. pete_griff, THANKS A LOT!!!!! that was the best and only good description i have read about this! i think i can get away with running 16's with the 312's. well i guess i'm looking for new corrado calipers then since one of mine went out.....

if you guys don't get tooooo mad of me asking, out of curiosity..... since i need new front calipers anyway, is there a better/bigger caliper out there that will work with say a 288 or 312 rotor on the corrado? is this where the girling 60's come into play in brake upgrades?

the girling is a rarely used mod simply as it normally still goes on a 280mm disc and isnt a dramatic improvement over what you can get from using the larger discs with the sliding calipers already discussed.

you can use a few porsche/seat/other brembo calipers on 312 discs and above but then you need to start worrying about wheel design or spacers (and custom brackets) and the calipers are now expensive 2nd hand in europe because lots of people do it. might be better in the US though so worth a look if you really want to go larger/more powerful. still vaguely VAG related too :)

thanks Dukest. good info. thanks everyone for not insulting me for asking. a HUGE difference from the Honda scene i came from. i guess my last question is, does anyone upgrade the brake master cylinder with something bigger? i did this on a friend's car and it made a pretty big difference in pedal feel.

there are a few people considering it at the moment but I havent really heard of any completed upgrades out there yet. if you feel like taking the plunge I'm sure people would be interested in your results!

this is some good info. just thought i'd post it up so people can find it.

levels of brake upgrades

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3174905

different brake set up discussion

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?463629-Corrado-brake-upgrade

r32 brake discussion

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2892838-Corrado-Brake-Upgrades

Edited by nsk1

alrighy..... you guys and your incomplete description of parts is killing me lol. i cross referenced a few threads and it looks like the Audi Coupe Quattro non abs brake master cylinder is a direct swap into the Corrado and it's a 25.4 mm. people don't like to go that big unless they run big brake kits or dual piston calipers like the Girling 60.

if you have abs, the Eurovan (not sure what that is) has the same 25.4 MC and is abs compatible.

To be fair, we haven't got all the facts ! We don't know what wheel size you are using ? Do you really want to use VAG parts ?

There is a few aftermarket kits available for your 4stud wheels,going upto IIRC 323mm ! These kits are designed for our mastercylinders,so work really well.I have aftermarket 4pots with 285mm discs,behind 15"wheels,by changing the pads and discs my calipers will fit 323mm discs ! So if I ever want larger wheels,the brakes are already

fitted.

I've had them fitted over 2years

now,and no probs at all !

Just my 2p

lol i didn't mean the guys in this thread. i find info here and there and they will list a chassis code but not a model or trim level. i'm not fluent with the codes yet.

that's good info! i'd like to stay with factory parts for reliability and cost reasons. i haven't bought any wheels for my car yet so i can choose around my brakes when i decide. i dont want to limit brake options