Lucius

2.016v driving me mad!

Hi all, really need some advice on my engine, i've been reading 10000000 threads on similar problems, but cant seem to get those solutions to work on mine.

Bit of background history, its a 1992 2.0 16v, and last year it developed a major coolant problem(air constantly in the system), eventually sourced that problem down to a hidden crack in the cylinder head! So i decided to look for a new engine and i sourced one, which had done 124k and came complete with gearbox, and everything needed. I fitted that and now its a complete nightmare to run, it will start and then it wont idle, or sometimes it will idle for about 10 seconds and then just stall. Ive changed the isv, dizzy cap, plugs, ht leads.

Funny thing is, when i remove this blue switch at the front (hopefully picture will work), it will be rough, and then idle fine!

So please please please corrado gods, help me with this issue as its driving me mad!

Thanks for taking the the to read and all advice gratefully appreciated!

Welcome to the forum!

That's the cold start valve or '5th injector' - it's most likely stuck open so when plugged in it's flooding the engine.

The wiring looks a bit suspect too - you need to have a good tidy up and re-wrap some of the wires / make sure they are clipped in properly

Edited by Supercharged

Any ideas on what to do to resolve this? (Apart from getting the fix-it hammer!)

Thanks for the fast response, appreciated.

Just remembered and forgot to add to original post, when this switch is connected, and its been started there are some major backfires in the airbox, witht the lid of it constantly exploding (difficult to explain without showing).

I see if AVS have 1 in stock. Thanks again.

Its more likely to be the throttle switches, as the full throttle switch provide the 5th injector, also worth checking the metering flap, making sure its not stuck.

Before i rebuilt mine i had endless running problems, changing switches, disconnecting things, swearing, after the rebuild she was fine.

While your under the bonnet make sure the injector seal are ok, try spraying WD-40 over them.

Hope you get it sorted, i know it can be stressful.

Sean.

---------- Post added at 01:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 PM ----------

sounds like the timing is out

Replace the cold start injector. I think they might be quite expensive new though. I should have a working 2nd hand one lying about somewhere if you need.

---------- Post added at 01:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 PM ----------

As above, the backfire could be due to timing but if its fine when the plug is disconnected my guess is its majorly over fuelling due to the stuck injector

Just unplug it and leave it like that , mine was unplugged for years and always started hot or cold

Heh - I think it's safe to say it's fooked!

I think it is as well!

Just fired it up, no changes, with the blue switch on, now it idles rough, backfires and made the exhaust manifold produce so much heat i could have a bbq off it!

With the blue switch connected, no backfire, but refuses to rev at all along with the rough idle!

I'm going to swap over all the airbox etc, see if that cures the backfire/rough idle!

Is it worth soaking the isv in carb cleaner?

Getting to the stage now where i've had enough of this, I love the car, but the amount of money its costing, christ, could have bought an Aston!

Anymore advice is appreciated (including burning the car!)

I'd put money on it being the timing then.

Do you know of a guide or how to setup the timing? Would be great to have it up and running for the summer! Plenty of events i'd love to take it to!

Cheers.