WigsVR6

But its a Golf

Since my VR as been written of last month I've missed it more than I ever thought possible. In that time I've been considering my options for the future in which way to go when getting my next ride. And I'm stuck. So I thought I'd share my ideas on here and see what you guys think. The obvious way to go would be to get another VR but as you all know getting a good un is a hard task these days and age also counting against them with parts (even critical) getting harder to source. Don't get me wrong I would love another but I spent a fortune getting mine into a really nice example and I wouldn't like to do it all again.

I've been looking at other possibilities which are

1 Audi TT - Hairdressers car or is that image unfair?

2 Audi S3 - Dosn't stand out from any other A3

3 Golf R32 - Prices have dropped off and I've been looking at mark lV's. This is my joint favourite option at the moment with it being the natural progression to go (or is it)?

All these cars have much better safety options too with air bags etc. This was brought to mind with my partner breaking some of her ribs in the accident in the VR something which older cars can't even compete with.

As the title says its another Golf at the end of the day and thats troubling me a little because the beauty with the Corrado is its looks,rareity and how cool they are. I cant see a Golf being cool no matter what engine is in it.

Please comment on my thoughts and help me come to some kind of sanity. If any of you have any experiance with any of the cars mentioned or even have other ideas please comment.

Thanks for reading Alan

I'd have a 4wd golf in a heartbeat, I don't think you'd look back to be honest. They're lovely cars.

The others are nice but personally I would just go for the R32 9 times out of 10.

me to. me mate who sold me his vr bought the 32 and is chuffed to bits with it . been in the car so many times and its a lovely car .

Thanks guys thats pretty conclusive 3 - 0. To get a decent VR in todays market I'd be looking to pay around £4000, maybe a little lower, and thats not too far off a R32. Its very tempting I'll have to get saving LOL.,

Why don't you, from what I saw doing a quick price check earlier, the cheaper end of the market is within reach.

Mechanically far superior to the VR but obviously doesn't have the same looks (although I think it is still a very good/meaty looking car), or that thing that makes it 'special'. Apart from these one or two things that the VR has over an R32, it would be tough not to buy an R32 when price levels out the playing field.

I was suprised when I looked at R32s at the prices of them. A lot of car for the money and as VR6 says prices are dropping.

I'd go for a 3.2 TT if you don't need alot of space.

I think I know what you're driving at but that's one of the strangest recommendations I've read for a while!!

Who doesn't need space?! Yeah, I love being squashed into the tightest space possible me :nuts:

It's like saying, buy a Corrado if you don't mind getting kicked in the crotch :lol:

I'd go for a 3.2 TT if you don't need alot of space.

I'm undecided about the TT I'm not sure I could be seen driving one. I'd be paranoid about what people would be thinking about my employment LOL

R32 gets the thumbs up from me also..............BUT, I think the Road Tax on these is going to rise sharply this year. Going from it's Co2 rating of 276 g/kg it should be in band 'M' ie £460 per year on todays prices.

A paste from the Parkers website which is one of the main reasons I sold my BMW 330i.

Please note: All cars registered between March 2001 and March 2006 that produce more than 225g/km CO2, will temporarily join Band K in 2009 and 2010.

Thought it is worth a mention as £460 per year is a lot !!!!

R32 gets the thumbs up from me also..............BUT, I think the Road Tax on these is going to rise sharply this year. Going from it's Co2 rating of 276 g/kg it should be in band 'M' ie £460 per year on todays prices.

A paste from the Parkers website which is one of the main reasons I sold my BMW 330i.

Please note: All cars registered between March 2001 and March 2006 that produce more than 225g/km CO2, will temporarily join Band K in 2009 and 2010.

Thought it is worth a mention as £460 per year is a lot !!!!

Wow thats more than 100% increase. ATM a R32 on a 53 plate is around 225 IIRC. Just as the finishing line is in site it moves further away. Gutted

Wow thats more than 100% increase. ATM a R32 on a 53 plate is around 225 IIRC. Just as the finishing line is in site it moves further away. Gutted

Like I said in my original post, this is just what I think, but going by the info on Parkers I would not be surprised if this happens. I bought my 330i in March 07, by April 07 the goverment had revised the tax bands and the BMW was going to be £410per year. This had a drastic effect on the price but then with the temporary exemption the panic seemed to die down. Needless to say I got rid of it for the Audi......£155 per year, almost a pleasure to have the road tax reminder.

All I would say is hang on and see what happens if it does happen then I personally think it will have quite an effect on used prices. How many people out there who are in the £3k-£8k market are going to want to fork out £400+ to tax their car. It is very surprising how many cars manufactured between 2001-2006 fall into this high band, on the positive side there could be some very cheap donor 4 motions for our Corrado's !!!!!!!

From a purely design point of view, go for the TT if you want something that still looks good in 10 years time. It still looks striking now with the right wheels.

The Golf has aged quite well considering its 2 generations old now, still looks sturdy and "premium" but as you say, its just another Golf.

I wouldn't be put off by the image of the TT. Any coupe this side of a 350Z will undoubtedly be called a hairdressers car or womans car. But at the end of the day it doesn't really matter what people think of you driving the TT does it? Its a great looking car, easily a design classic, so who cares!

Go for the TT! From one classic VAG coupe to another!

A Friend of mine has just bought an R32, gorgeous car, he has a subtle Miltek exhaust system which really makes the 32 grumble even more beautiful.

A note though, A police officer mate of mine said that R32's are the most common stolen cars used for ramraids/get away jobs.

I know the threat of car crime is high in whatever "rare" or desirable car you may get, but something to bear in mind at least

A note though, A police officer mate of mine said that R32's are the most common stolen cars used for ramraids/get away jobs.

I know the threat of car crime is high in whatever "rare" or desirable car you may get, but something to bear in mind at least

Given the amount of R32's in circulation vs the amount of ram-raids/get-away jobs, I don't buy that.

Ive been doing the same TT, S3, R32 debate myself for the past few weeks. I then started to look at Audi A3 3.2 Quattros. Very nice cars with lots of options, 2 door, 4 door, S-Lines, Sports, DSG or manual gearbox, facelift front bumpers, ABT spoilers and skirts, Many different interior options, etc.

They are more subtle than an R32, probably thrashed a lot less, low number of owners, Some nice 50,000 mile examples about and for reasonable money too. 2004 models seem to be the sweet spot looking at the spec vs the milage vs the price.

Really liked the look of these

http://pistonheads.co.uk/sales/2679142.htm

http://pistonheads.co.uk/sales/2340286.htm

http://pistonheads.co.uk/sales/2547332.htm

Edited by G60_Marc