Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Road Tax...

Argh!!

£165 for 12 months! What a rip! :(

Think i'll just have to go with 6 months of tax for now.

I went with six months, the bonus is the writing on your tax disc is gold!!! :D

Yeah, i'm gonna have to go for the 6 months option for now.

£160 odd quid is a lot to just stump up in a month.

Trying to save up for a few days in Amsterdam in July, and its me old mans birthday this month. MOT next month!! *gulp*

Mine is due now at the end of this month as well... still haven't decided wether or not to go with the 6 or 12 months. Makes economical sense to go with the 12months but... as you say Jim, its a lot of money :?

Try 3 Karmanns, all taxed :roll: , yup, that's 3 times £165, time to look at SORN over the winter months for the 2 Roccos next winter ... :roll:

Tempest

£165 is steep for a 1.8!

Does road tax in the UK work on engine size?

Over here it is and mine's only about £170 forthe VR....and we have absolutely cracking roads over here so I'm not all that bothered about it.

£165 is steep for a 1.8!

Over here it is and mine's only about £170 forthe VR....and we have absolutely cracking roads over here so I'm not all that bothered about it.

Yup... Anything over 1548cc is in the higher tax group if it's older than a march 2001 model... :?

I've about to sell my Golf Driver and get a little Diesel 1.5 Corsa :pukeleft: to save me some money 'cos the golf's on it's last legs and is costing me a bomb on fuel, tax and insurance.. Don't worry though, it'll just be a commuter car, the Corrado will be my main car as long as it's not going to Manchester in rush hour traffic every morning ;) :lol:

you brits get ripped of Personally i believe if you own more than one car you should only pay for one lot of road tax as you can only drive one car, then if you have other named drivers on your insurance you pay a little extra for them

£165 is steep for a 1.8!

......so tom.....u actually pay £5 more than the rest of us UK-based VR owners :p :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Goddam rip off! Only consolation is i plan to keep my 16v until the Road Tax is free, bit of a long wait though......... :roll:

That's a point... at what age do cars get free tax?

My MKI has gotta be getting close now.... 8)

Ah, nuts...

Vehicles exempt from the payment of road-tax include those used by the police, fire and ambulance services, those due to be exported out of the country and those which are more than 25 years old.

My Golf's only 22... 3 more years to wait.... :roll:

*edit due to thinking it's still 2003... I blame the gin... ;)

Hmmm, could well be! Off the top of my head, I think (repeat - think) cars qualify as classic and therefore free of tax at 25 years.....worth checking m8

erm............IIRC the "free" road tax is only for pre-73 cars and is not "rolling".......in that cars when they get to 25 years old now(after 1997/8 ) dont qualify

£165 is steep for a 1.8!

......so tom.....u actually pay £5 more than the rest of us UK-based VR owners :p :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

May be, but I'd have our superb roads anydays Rodders :p

My point was in that, if I had a 1.8, I'd be paying about £70 as opposed to £170 for the VR.

the "free" road tax is only for pre-73 cars and is not "rolling".......in that cars when they get to 25 years old now(after 1997/8 ) dont qualify

Would have been too good to be true, as then I would've had both my Roccos tax free in 2 and 5 years respectively. Shame ... smiley-cry.gif

Tempest

i used to buy 6 monthly tax on all my cars before, but as i knew i was keeping the corrado i just bought a years and be done with it, not got to renew untill june :D

I also have to buy a bloody permit to park on my road (£27p/a) when theres only three spaces (shared by 5 cars) available outside my block and across the road is business parking, what a load of bo**ox

Well you wouldn't mind so much if our road network was a world leading example of traffic management, and superb design.. but its not. And the fact that we already pay such huge amounts of tax on fuel just really rubs it in that bit more.

The roads are about as congested as they are going to get, and the quality of the road surfaces is shocking. You REALLY feel it when you are riding on modified suspension. I'm sure Tempest would agree that about 65% of the roads in Coventry are in urgent need of resurfacing.