holeinmk1

sticky brake caliper and replacing 16v calipers with something bigger...

My n/s front caliper keeps sticking, and running hot, the entire alloy wheel becomes extremely hot(yes, i burnt my fingers :bonk:), i have already stripped the caliper and carrier off, cleaned and regreased the essential bits, and the problem returned.

Trouble is, i had planned on replacing the standard calipers with either g60 or vr6 calipers, so i don;t really want to rebuild the standard ones just to replace them a few months down the line.

I'm guessing that g60 or vr6 calipers are'nt just a straight forward swap for the 16v and i'd need some kind of adaptor?

Help please!

Tom

Not sure if you are aware. VW dealership also accept old calipers on an exchange basis. Not sure what is the going rate for a 16v. My front calipers on a vr6 was 60 pounds EACH all in on an exchange basis. Saves a lot of messing about.

Has the hose collapsed internally holding the brake on?

I have a pair of 280mm carriers

Will calipers from a mk3 golf vr6 fit? or do they have to be specifically be from a corrado vr6?

Cheers

late vr6 95-98 are 288mm. they fit over 280mm g60 discs with the 288 carriers but you need banjo type brake lines.

bit of a ballache.

early vr golf/corrado vr/or g60 carriers/calipers are the easiest option, with g60 discs.

To be honest matey, i'd be looking at the root of your problem. Are you sure the caliper is goosed? If the brake is running that hot, something is binding. If the pads are wearing evenly, then it probably is a sticky caliper but if the pads are wearing unevenly, then it could be something simple like a warped disc, or perhaps a bent caliper carrier pushing the caliper out of alignment.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you get it all sorted.

discs and pads were new a few months back and i've not been using the car much so difficult to tell about wear, i don't remember there being much wear though when i changed them. I'll be replacing the hoses at the same time(may as well). Is it possible that a buckled wheel could have caused the brakes to heat up. i have refitted my bbs on the offending hub/caliper and not had any problems today?

Tom

I doubt a buckled wheel would cause the brakes to heat up, unless the wheel was contacting the brake somehow, but you would surely see marks showing that.

Yeah, thats what i thought, just i've put the bbs back on the offending hub and the brakes have'nt heated up once since? its almost as if the problem has cured itself?

Maybe i have a 21st century Christine?